• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fired up after a while and

Oxen__

NAXJA Forum User
so my rig sat for a good bit. it had been started a few times over the summer. but not many. and i left the tank on Reserve i know :twak: not good.

any how i put a water pump on it today . it had been weeping a bit. i'd keep it topped up. so new pump. i filled the rad filled then block. dumped a gallon of gas in the tank and started it up to cycle .

it got about 3/4s hot so i turned it off let it cool down. filled the tank with 5 more gallons of gas. truck cooles off i add another half gallon of water . bam now it will start and die 5-15 seconds later. replaced the fuel filter it helped a little. but not much.

so think i lost a tank pump or ? also my fuel pressure isnt very strong . it dosnt spurt out at the valve on the fuel rail. like on my truck.

my friend thinks i just have water int he tank and should add more gas and water remover. i honestly think my fuel pump pooped.

You answered your own question for the most part. "fuel pressure isn't strong"

What year is your rig; as far as i know the 96 and down XJs have a fuel filter that is external of the tank.

Your problems sound like what my 96 had, it would have fuel pressure until there was a load, and then fuel system wouldn't keep up with the demand. For me the problem was a rotted out fuel tank that was throwing debris into the filter instantly. The fix was a new tank / pump / Filter, not saying you need that, but I understand your problem.

Get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and verify it under load.

So last nite i dont think i got the fuel rail bled all the way. So when i checked it there must have been a air bubble.

Today i pummed the bottom of the tank and pulled some water out till it got clean. Poured iso heet in tank. An put 5 more gallons in the tank.

Gave it a go. About 3 tries and she fired up. Pressure was good. So i just was being a total tard.

Back