• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Spacers (Asked & Answered, BUT..)

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
1999 XJ
Factory wheels (5.25" BS) with Cooper 31 x 10.5 STT
3.5" DPG/OME Lift

I'm looking for the correct wheel spacer thickness to clear the LCA at full lock. Or.. the correct backspacing if I order new wheels?

Thanks.. Again.

Last edited:
I have JKS UCA & LCA with the DPG/OME kit. There is an inch or so clearance @ full lock but that is with no suspension flex on a concrete floor. The 4.5" RC lift I just took off had
wear marks on the LCA. Looking for insurance & to my knowledge it's SOP to have less than stock 5.25" BS with oversize tires.

There is no SOP when it comes to modifications.

31" tires on the stock wheels is acceptable. If you already have 1" Clearance at full lock, it doesn't sound to me like anything is rubbing.

Besides, you do know you can adjust your stops, right? There is a 1/2 bolt that Dana uses as a stop for the knuckle. If you loosen the lock nut, you should be able to back that out to where you may want it.

If you've got an inch at full lock it should stay an inch all the way up and down right? I'm at work and tired at the moment but, the control arm moves up, the axle moves up as well, tire stays in the same plane through that whole motion... id assume the only time you'd have to worry is if you came up to a ledge at full lock with only one tire against it??

I run 1.5" rough country spacers on 30x9.5" M/T's on OE wheels (1990 though). Before the spacers, I had massive rubbing on the LCA's. 2 inch budget boost, too. They are very good spacers and cheaper than spidertrax.

my 33x10.50's only had minimal rub with stock wheels @ 3", now i run 4" BS wheels and have clearance for days

My problem was rubbing the hump in the wheel well that the coil spring is seated on more than the control arms... this was obviously during articulation

^ strange because on my 90 when i ran 30x9.50 wrangler rts's i didnt rub at all
That is strange. Maybe my turn limiter bolts were turned all the way in or something. I run Dunlop Mud Rovers on the OE limited rims (the BBS style aluminum spoke ones-not sure what they're called).

To answer you question, most people run 3.75 - 4.5" of back spacing and 1.25" spacers should be good.

Thank you!
I noticed last night that the rear tires are VERY close to new OME springs, WAY too close to allow use of tire chains (a must on 4x4 IMO) so BS Should help that as well

i have the OME/DPG 3.5" lift with the jks arms up front, on stock eccos, no wheels spacers, and 31x10.50 mickey thompson MTZ's (pretty wide for a 10.50) i rubbed my LCAs, i pulled my steering stop bolts and installed a heavy washer behind the welded nut and cranked them back in. spaced out my steering stops roughly 3mm per side, my tires would just touch the LCA's.

same lift, same steering, same wheels, but now with RC 1.5" wheel spacers and 32x10.50 TSL radials, no rub on the arms,

Which of the spacer choices are 'hub-centric'? Looking at Spidertrax and they look right but nothing specific in the detailed description about 'hub-centric'.

Thanks.

The RC spacers are hub centric to the unit bearing, the wheel to spacer is lug centric, everything works out just fine, the lugs put the wheel where its supposed to be, just torque it up in a star pattern

Back