• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering up grade 99

Who knows???

Its tough to even wanna get on anymore with how repetative almost every topic is now. Go bust your knuckles on some steel and not on the keyboard!!! I had millions of questions about steering and now I don't, I didn't ask a single question. When I'm ready to put the xj down for a week I'm doing the ruffstuff 3/4 heim setup and an over the axle trackbar and a couple other things to the front end. I figured this all out by doing a couple days of reading and searching Google since I can never get the function to work here... because its so cluttered up with shit like 7 steering questions in a week that all revert to the same links made 3-5-7-10 years ago.... rant done

Careful with that ruffstuff heim steering. I put it on my D30 and the tie rod hit both coil buckets. Limited my steering throw quite a bit. Couldn't trim them back anymore, tie rod was actually hitting the spring itself.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219

To sum up those threads, since you are obviously too lazy to search, run either the Currie system (I gave you a link), run a ZJ tie rod, or do a complete WJ swap.

Except that he has 6.5" of lift, so the Currie steering and ZJ steering both would be overextended and wear prematurely.

WJ is a good option, although a lot of work. Tera's is another good option, it would cost the same (ish) and give you similar steering, but no brake upgrade. The JCR 1 ton steering setup would work well, except there is a slight dead spot in the center that causes some wander on the highway.

Their website is horrible, but the bulletproof steering kit is another good option.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/jeeppricingoptions.html

If you want to run currie at that height just put the pitman arm TRE in a press and add some more bend to the shank.

and how do you fix the lower TRE?

You shouldn't need to, the way the geometry works out it does not travel like the pitman TRE does, so it should be fine.

But it can be treated the same way. Put the drag link in a press and add more bend.

Fwiw, the older style currie steering didn't have as much angle in the TRE as the newer ones, most people were doing it themselves, so currie added a bit more angle when they produced it.

Careful with that ruffstuff heim steering. I put it on my D30 and the tie rod hit both coil buckets. Limited my steering throw quite a bit. Couldn't trim them back anymore, tie rod was actually hitting the spring itself.

Thanks for the heads up, I am planning on stripping the axle knuckle to knuckle. Going with either centered or or rear offset coil buckets and pushing the axle up an inch or two :) that's why I was sayin I gotta wait till it can be down a week or so.

Who knows???

Its tough to even wanna get on anymore with how repetative almost every topic is now. Go bust your knuckles on some steel and not on the keyboard!!! I had millions of questions about steering and now I don't, I didn't ask a single question. When I'm ready to put the xj down for a week I'm doing the ruffstuff 3/4 heim setup and an over the axle trackbar and a couple other things to the front end. I figured this all out by doing a couple days of reading and searching Google since I can never get the function to work here... because its so cluttered up with shit like 7 steering questions in a week that all revert to the same links made 3-5-7-10 years ago.... rant done

Hey Breezio,

I just installed that setup this past weekend. Works great (with a few mods). I had to go UTK because a 1.5" tie rod is just big. Used a Rusty's over-the-axle track bar relocation bracket and cutoff the sway bar mounts. BARELY fits but swings both ways without hitting anything. You'll like it!

P.S. I figured it out by SEARCHING and hands on figuring it out method!

Sounds good! Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping with the relocated coil buckets I shouldn't have an issue running it up top. But ill figure it out as I get into it.

I guess a semi simple crossover style steering without the TF knuckle or WJ conversion, would be ruffstuff (or other) crossover heim steering. Would be crossover steering, but with both links on the stock/lower knuckle apparatus.

I plan on doing mine over the top with a double shear mount on the knuckle for the drag link... like a said, I've been researching and thinking about a lot of possibilities and think I have a good plan for the ruff stuff setup to be used to the optimum ability, meaning all over the knuckle, seperate bolt for the drag link, separate bolt for the tie rod. Instead of using a single to hold both. Should work out dandy after I plate the whole arm, top bottom and sides on the pass side

I guess a semi simple crossover style steering without the TF knuckle or WJ conversion, would be ruffstuff (or other) crossover heim steering. Would be crossover steering, but with both links on the stock/lower knuckle apparatus.

youre going to need to relocate the sway bar brackets, move the coil buckets back and re-locate the trackbar to do that.

Back