• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlamp switch - what a pain

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I was out the other evening, got in the XJ to drive home and pull the headlight knob, it pulled and got stuck before the first click. No dash lights, nothing, I could use my high beam in flash mode only and it's not too easy to drive holding the leaver. My HID fog lights are bright enough and I was close to home so I got it home that way.

Getting to the switch was a pain, I read a bit and decided to pull most of the dash trim and the gauge cluster rather than fighting to reach it. Got the old switch out and bought a switch from napa (they offered 2 with one slightly(echlin) pricier and one cheaper(mileage plus) so I opted for the pricier one). Comparing the 2 switches the new napa one seemed much nicer than the factory original. Installed the switch, go to attach the ground wire, the ground stud broke right off the new switch.... It was riveted in place and took no pressure at all to break. Back to napa, they are out of stock of the better switch but have the cheaper one. Take that home and tested it out, put the knob in and it did not feel as smooth as the other one and took a little bit to get the knob to fit properly but being I wanted back on the road I just went with it. Next time I do it I will get the better switch and inspect the ground lug before taking it home.

All in all an easy job but just such a pain having to pull all the trim, gauges, unscrewing the little piece that holds the switch to the trim, dealing with the broken ground stud and removing the electrical connector from the old switch. I am not sure why the high beams can't function with a dead switch, seems like a safety thing to me. I mean you have a separate switch and they function with the flash mode why not allow them to function on/off gezz.

Note to anyone doing it, just go ahead and pull the gauges and the plastic piece behind the gauges, made it so much easier and only a few extra screws. Also, go with the better switch or from the dealer to avoid doing it all over again sooner than later.

97 xj country 4.0

Back