• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear diff lock

So. as you only have 3 posts ill give this advice.

search. use the forum and look up those lockers.
read. read what you find. they are all gonna say the same thing they did in.the threads you searched for and read.

then. if you think you need to ask again to read the same answers.......
we need year. motor. trans. axles. tire size. how you use rig. what you want it to do. what you don't want.

A lot of it depends on what you are doing with the rig.

For driving on ice, an auto locker is not so friendly.

for rocks/mud/dirt, they work great.

like in4aride said, search is gonna be your friend

Haha ya my cell phone often mistakes my space bar pushes for periods. oops.

on a real note though im just trying to save the guy some flaming. plus you can usually find some funny posts when you search.....along with helpful ones.

Birdhunter, this comes up often, and they are right, Search works well for this.

Lunchbox lockers (Which is what we call them because they go inside the carrier, not replace it) work well, but not everyone appreciates their road manners. They work well Off-Road, and are inexpensive compared to a locker which replaced the entire carrier and may or not be selectable.

The draw back is that they are not a geared differential; they either power both wheels, or in a "Coast Mode", when you apply no power, the wheel moving the fastest is allowed to over-run the slower one (like in a turn). When you apply power again, the locker will re-lock and tie the two axles together.

This means that on the road, you need to modify how you deal with turns, or sudden acceleration; smooth entry into turns with no power, and if you have a manual, smooth shift will become your game.

I have heard that the "No-Slip" lockers are better than the regular lockers because they don't release or engage as suddenly.

-Ron

My lock rite is tricky, she's a loud clicker but she works great, as stated on ice she's not very friendly! My ass end has been facing the wrong direction on more times then I care to count, mud/sand/rocks/dirt it works flawless, I love my locker in that case. Driving on the street making turns... Don't expect to do a u turn at speeds or round a corner... Even parking sucks sometimes, my jeep sometimes is ok with it but SOMETIMES she bucks and jerks and wants to engage during a turn... You get used to it you learn how to "fix" it, funniest thing lately is driving down the road, and start to coast, the I want to go around someone and punch it and it locks up, both tires grab and wants to tweak the jeep to one side or the other... Fun stuff... I don't mind it but you might.

Back