• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good priced San Diego shops? Possible blown head gasket..

jarend

NAXJA Forum User
Located in San Diego 92120.

Just spent way too much on my other cars head gasket job. Think I might have done it to the XJ now..

Pulled into work this morning with the overheating light on, turned off the heep in my parking lot and heard a loud pop then smoke. I jumped out and looked under and coolant was going everywhere, couldn't really tell where from exactly but I'm assuming its a rad hose from back pressure due to air letting into the head... just like my friggin' Subaru.

Assuming it is the head gasket, I would be willing to even do it myself if someone knowledgeable is able to lend a hand.

Would it be worth trying to replace the thermostat and see if that is the issue or should I just pay to have it diagnosed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

look for milkshake in the oil

check everything else first, if you do end up needing a hand, Im sure I know a guy that would give you a hand....

Have it do it at my work so i'll probably end up checking the oil tomorrow, coolant that was all over the place seemed oil free.

depends on what time. if we can do it around 3 or 4 i can probably do it today.

you need to drain that oil ASAP if it is contaminated with coolant. the coolant is murder on bearings, it eats them up.

I'm off at 5 but my boss will understand if I leave early to handle that. Anytime around 3-5 is good for me. Home Depot at 5980 Fairmount Avenue San Diego 92120

i can be there at 3 i think. i need to run a few errands first, i'll go do them now.

Take your time, really appreciate it. Will obviously cover your gas just shoot me a text when you're heading this way so I can finish up here.

i have done two head gaskets on xjs, super easy you just need a special socket for the right rear head. depending on day and where ya live i can help

Good to hear, I really don't want to have to pay a shop to do it if it's easy enough to figure out. I'm in San Diego 92117, next to the Clairemont square if you know the area

Was looking forward to the charity run and goatfest but it's not looking like i'll be able to make either :bs:

I would love to but unfortunately my plan was to make a 1 day trip Saturday to keep the lady happy.

Definitely still going to try to make it out, we'll see how it plays out. Maybe its not a head gasket and its a easy fix!! *fingers crossed*

Pull the spark plugs, or crank the engine over by hand just in case you did fill a cylinder with coolant. Ya don't need to bend a rod too.

Just went and poured some water into the radiator to see if I could determine where the coolant was leaking and it looks like it might be leaking out of the passenger side of the radiator..

Would that make sense with the loud pop I heard?

Hopefully just a radiator..

Back