• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj; Water Pump Bypass Tube Choices?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 Xj features a short straight section of pipe for this. Crown is the manufacturer for these on the after market for the 1991-2001 Xj. Does anyone know if this later model year bypass tube will fit the threads on the earlier model year Renix vintage Xj's? Part number is 53007978 and can be purchased though Team Grand Wagoneer or Crown dealer network.

Last edited:
I believe it will but am not sure. IIRC that is just a 1/2" NPT thread. Dorman makes a replacement for it too; their part number is 56398 and it's generally available or can be ordered at local parts stores. AutoZone has or can order it for $15 and it is $8 on RockAuto. I suggest using PTFE thread sealant paste when installing it.

Some have had success using regular threaded brass NPT pipe of the appropriate size, a 90 degree threaded elbow, and a threaded hose nipple - all available in the Home Depot plumbing aisle, longer lasting, and more likely to be reusable in the future.

1/2" or 3/8" NPT sounds right.

I just reused the existing one on the old pump. It was a pita to take off, but worked on the new one. I would have bought a new one, had I known before tearing into it. It's worked fine so far. 1990 XJ w/4.0 Renix.

Back