• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Writeup On Replacing Your Power Steering Pressure Line

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
It's very important to start this thread by stating if you have the right tools, the job will be very easy. If you have the wrong tools, the job will be very difficult.

First things first. You need to have either a flare wrench or a crows foot flare socket and a new pressure hose. I chose to go with the crows foot and long extension.

20121102_141837.jpg

20121102_141851.jpg

The reason I chose the crows foot is because the bottom fitting is very difficult to turn using a regular flare wrench due to the tight spacing. Even taking out electric fan and pulley, the space was still too tight to get good torque on the regular flare wrench.

20121102_141920.jpg

The bottom is the area you will be working in.

20121102_141927.jpg

20121102_142012.jpg

Break loose the top fitting and the bottom fitting. The top fitting is 16 mm and the bottom is 18 mm. Remove the old hose. Replace with the new hose and remember to install the new o-rings on the fittings. Top off the power steering fluid and then you are done. I had to run my Jeep for a few minutes to get the screeching to stop.

By the way. This is maybe a 20 minute job at the max. I turned it into a 3 day job because I only had a flare wrench to begin with. The crows foot makes it much easier. I hope this helps anyone that was in the same predicament as me.

Last edited:
Looks good :thumbup:

One nit-pick - you are supposed to fill the system, then turn the steering wheel back and forth with the wheels off the ground (or the pitman arm TRE disconnected from the pitman arm) and the engine off until it stops blowing bubbles BEFORE running the engine. This bleeds the system and helps avoid PS pump damage.

Well dang. After all the searching I did I never found that last step. I hope I didn't hurt anything.

Pulling the air box makes this a ton easier as well.

So true of many repair jobs these beasties!

I have done dozens of power steering pumps and a few gear boxes with out raising the wheels or pulling the arm, never had a problem. Never wore out a new pump either.

So true of many repair jobs these beasties!

I have done dozens of power steering pumps and a few gear boxes with out raising the wheels or pulling the arm, never had a problem. Never wore out a new pump either.

This make sme feel better. :eeks1:

Back