• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0705 (yes, I've searched)

intrscout64

NAXJA Forum User
Details: 1999 Cherokee, 4L/AW4/NP242, 143000 on the clock. I bought the thing and the dealer removed the check engine light (I've had it two months from a very small dealer).

Symptons: Sometimes when taking of from a stop, there is a bit of a clunk in the drive train. It's almost like there is a ton of backlash in the gears, othertimes it's perfectly smooth. It's like the engine spins up and then just pops into gear. The other problem I have is sometimes it won't go into OD. I can leave my apt, get on the road and it goes into OD, but within a 1/4 mile it drops down to 3rd and it won't go into OD. 1-2-3 still work fine, no OD. I will pull over, shut the jeep off, start it again and it will work perfect, OD is no problem. I've tried jiggling the shifter and it doesn't move into OD no matter what I do.

What I've done: 1) Read the codes, P0705 [Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)] and a P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak). 2) I have pulled the NSS off and cleaned it. It didn't appear to have any really bad wear in it, but I sanded/cleaned/regreased it. 3) I also reset the cable attached to the throttle body (TV cable?). 4) I took it to Aamco today. They told my I have burnt transmission fluid and I need to replace the NSS.

Where do I go from here? Is there a test diagram or something I can use to make sure the NSS is working properly? If it is, what should I go about checking next?

Thanks,
Justin

A few additional "oddities" the jeep does.

Sometimes it sounds like it wants to die when I'm idling.
Just today after replacing the valve cover gasket (and the PCV valve I broke removing the valve cover), the oil pressure drops to zero once it's warm. I'm running 5W-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in it here in West Palm Beach, FL.

Back