• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing windshield trim on 99 XJ

73gitane

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I'm trying to find how water is leaking on the passenger floor and am assuming I have a leak around the windshield. So I thought the first step would be to remove the rubber windshield trim so I could reseal the windshield. Well the top and sides of the trim were easily removed but for the life of me I can not remove the bottom portion. It's as if the trim is folded around the bottom edge of the glass. If I try to force removal the trim begins to tear.

I may even be wasting my time assuming there is a leak around the perimeter of the windshield but as this time I'm committed to either remove the trim or just glues the side and top back on. Can anyone share their experience removing the trim?

Thanks!
Steve

Don't be so quick to assign blame to the windshield. The majority of XJ passenger side leaks can be attributed to a failed foam seal, where the AC blow motor pokes through into the engine bay. If you note, there's a wire loom harness along the top edge of the fire wall. I had water dripping from that wire loom, directly into the blower area. A few zip ties now keeps it away. However, the main culprit was still the failed foam seal.

The correct fix is to remove the AC coil / heater box and install a new seal. Not a fun job, and very time consuming. About the only reason I'd go that route is if I had to replace the Evaporator and/or heater coil, and replace the seal while I'm at it....

The quick and dirty fix is to apply silicone sealant around the foam seal, through the engine bay. I did this route about 6 years ago, and I'm still leak free.....

In addition to what Ivan has said, another common cause is the drain tube for the HVAC box being blocked with dirt/debris/critters. You can find it under the evap canister near the frame rail (passenger side).

I was going to remove my trim until I saw in the FSM that they recommend the trim be glued to the windshield while its sitting on saw horses...hope you can get yours back on.

There's also a pinch seam that will allow water from the cowl vent area to leak into the passenger compartment. I've had two of our four leak here. This is a picture of my '92, yours may be a little different. Quite often they use panel adhesive/sealer when the vehicle is made, and it dries out over time. I used silicone caulk to seal this area. Make sure the drain is clean, as when this area leaks, the water will track in through the blower motor gasket as previously described.

CowlLeakArea.jpg

Thanks all, I should have time later today to check on the suggestions made.

Dang, I hate it when I move too fast before investigating. I have NAPA 4203 butyl windshield sealant I was going to use to glue the trim back on. I think this is used on older style windshields that use old rubber gaskets. Does anyone know if this would glue the trim on the glass as well? It does say good adhesion to glass, metal, and butyl tape so it looks like the proper sealant for trim as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Weebur, I saw the drain plug. You mean if it gets plugged water will backup and fill the interior heater box? My AC hasn't worked for years so I figured there was no moisture to drain. Should I use compressed air?

Thanks,
Steve

If you removed some of the 'trim', you may need to have the windshield either re-installed or replaced. The windshields with the hard rubber/plastic ('95+ IIRC) have the trim installed on the glass, then it's all glued in with the windshield adhesive. If you've cut it, it's probably not going to be able to be fixed properly. If you have not cut it too deeply as to unseal the glass, the original adhesive may be OK. I had the windshield replaced in my '92, and the tech comes out with the plastic-trimmed glass, which is where I learned the difference between the early and late glass. I got to see how the trim snaps onto the glass, and is then glued into the opening. If you're in too deep, take it to a pro, as the windshield is a structural part of a uni-body vehicle.

Guess I'm going to a glass shop. I should note I have not breached the seal between the glass and body. Also, when I pulled the trim from the top and sides it never seemed like I was tearing it away from under the windshield. It appeared to be just pulling away from the channel between the glass and frame. It never appeared to tear and leave any trim behind. Now the bottom is a whole different story. Once I reached the bottom I could tell there was not going to be an easy release and if pulled harder it would tear.

Weebur, I saw the drain plug. You mean if it gets plugged water will backup and fill the interior heater box? My AC hasn't worked for years so I figured there was no moisture to drain. Should I use compressed air?

Thanks,
Steve

Yep, Steve it can. You say that your AC hasn't worked for years so I doubt that's the problem. In a working system frost will form on the evaporator and melt during normal cycling. That water then finds its way to the drain. If enough water backs up it will run out of the box and onto the passenger side floor. Are you sure it's water and not coolant? A leaking heater core will do the same thing.

I raised up my evap canister as far as it would go then pulled off the rubber tube. I then used a wooden doll rod and poked it into the hole. Then (some may disagree) I ran water through the drain in the box under very low pressure till it clean up. Then I glued the rubber tube back on.

It turns out my persistent leak was the windshield. I found it by laying on my back looking under the dash while a helper sprayed water from a garden hose at all of the likely spots. Using a really bright light source I saw the water seeping from the lower edge of the windshield.

I was never able to stop the leak by using RTV under the trim. When I pulled my dash out to replace the evaporator I used black RTV along the bottom edge...leak fixed.

I was in denial about the windshield trim. Yes it is glued on before windshield is installed. Looks like the only way to deal with it now is to have the glass shop take out the windshield and replace. Who knows, maybe it will fix my leak. Before I do that I'll find some time to take a water hose to it and look for evidence of a leaky windshield.

Thanks all,
Steve

Back