• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic side panels

1998xjspt

NAXJA Forum User
Mine are all faded blue and I want to take them off (if possible without scratching paint or leaving ugly sticky residue on the XJ) and spray them flat black. Anyone know an effective way of taking them off and putting them back on? with time I might need to respray them so I would like to take them on and off with time.

Mine are all faded blue and I want to take them off (if possible without scratching paint or leaving ugly sticky residue on the XJ) and spray them flat black. Anyone know an effective way of taking them off and putting them back on? with time I might need to respray them so I would like to take them on and off with time.

Talking about all those heavy rubber lower quarter panel trims?

Well I used a non-marking white plastic trim tool, and slipped it behind the trims in cooperation with a heat gun judiciously used on Low.

You'll need a couple rools of 3M double side emblem tape available from a body shop or supply to put it back on.

Pick up 2 "eraser wheels" from napa, they go in a drill or 1/4" chuck grinder, you slowly run them on the paint and they will peel off all that gooey crap. Don't press too hard or go too fast or you'll burn your paint!

Back