• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 with 35's. Bad news?

JAlVl3Z

NAXJA Forum User
I have been considering going 6.5 long arm lift with 35's.
No frame stiffening
stock 8.25 rear
napier precision flares

I have heard horror stories about the uni-body going over a 4.5 lift.

What are reasons I should steer away from this set up, if any?
What precautions should I take if I go through with it?

You are really pushing stock axles on 35s. Aside from that as long as u take into consideration drive line angles, steering angles, track bar and sye you should be ok. No need to be that tall though.

what stories have you herd about the unibody and larger then 4.5"?

have you considered 4.5" and 35's? what are you plans about gears steering and axles with the 35's?

I had thoughts of 4" and 35's.. 6.5" is way overkill for almost anything that involves rock crawling... I'll prolly end up going 33's but i still want a car trailer for transporting it to the trail.

what stories have you herd about the unibody and larger then 4.5"?

have you considered 4.5" and 35's? what are you plans about gears steering and axles with the 35's?

mostly about the unibody not being able to handle it.
I would rather do 4.5 and 35's. If i go with those napier flares, would need bump stops at 4.5 lift?

dual steering stabliizer, 4.56 gears

mostly about the unibody not being able to handle it.
I would rather do 4.5 and 35's. If i go with those napier flares, would need bump stops at 4.5 lift?

dual steering stabliizer, 4.56 gears
lift hieght aint gonna kill the unibody, and take steering stabilizers out of your vocabulary, there not needed, and finally do 4.88's

and take steering stabilizers out of your vocabulary, there not needed,

Maybe not needed, but certainly cannot hurt, and should help extend the life of components that will wear much faster with 35 inch tires.

I can't see any reason not to run one... especially if you already have one.

I run 35s on 5 - 5.5" inch lift with no flares at all, and I run 4 hockey pucks per side for bump stops....

Maybe not needed, but certainly cannot hurt, and should help extend the life of components that will wear much faster with 35 inch tires.

I can't see any reason not to run one... especially if you already have one.
they just hide worn out steering components, know to many peaple that run without em with no issue

they just hide worn out steering components, know to many peaple that run without em with no issue

They can extend the life of steering ends and ball joints.

You can go without one with no issue... but why not run one if you have one?

I don't NEED padded seats either... but it certainly extends the life of my ass when wheeling all day...

I don't NEED padded seats either... but it certainly extends the life of my ass when wheeling all day...

Ha...I like that quote.

Agreed with above. There is not a lift height I know of that is especially bad for the unibody. It is the hard wheeling and flexing that is usually the death of them...or the tweaking of them anyway. And that is over time.

I didn't run one for a while because the bushing eye on it was shot... No ill effects. However one bored afternoon I drilled it out and fitted a large bolt, and I do enjoy the tighter steering feel.

But necessary, not really.

Uhh the stabilizer is not imbetween the wheel and the balljoint/ steering ends, the shock from the wheels goes right to the balljoints and sterring ends before the stabilizer but if you want the false felling of a tight steering then go for it

before going to a taller lift, i would reeeeeally recommend investing in frame stiffeners. will work for stock to 1ft of lift. probably the best investment i've made yet.

Uhh the stabilizer is not imbetween the wheel and the balljoint/ steering ends, the shock from the wheels goes right to the balljoints and sterring ends before the stabilizer but if you want the false felling of a tight steering then go for it
Harmonics can transfer as well.

I have been considering going 6.5 long arm lift with 35's.
No frame stiffening
stock 8.25 rear
napier precision flares

I have heard horror stories about the uni-body going over a 4.5 lift.

What are reasons I should steer away from this set up, if any?
What precautions should I take if I go through with it?

theres no issues going to 6.5 and 35" tires without doing stiffeners and steering/braking upgrades all at once.

just know that soon enough youll need inner/outer/cross steering bracing and stronger than stock steering if you plan on locking the front. Frame stiffeners down the road. front bumper that ties back into the frame very well.

you dont have to do it all at once, today, you just need to know youll eventually do it if you actually plan on wheeling your rig alot.

I just dont understand why you wouldnt go 5" rear(3.5" leaves and 1.5" shackles) and 5.5"(or 4.5" i ran those forever with 35s) RE coils up front with the 35s instead of the full 6.5" lift.

also do Full circle 760s up front(buy chromos or grind away some ABS shafts, LCA skids, plate pass side UCA, bumpstop , cut fenders like you dont care, .

I would not waste a 1$ on flares. at worst, get some cheapo TJ or YJ flares for 20$ if you really want something.

I won't argue, I am not an expert, but it seems to have helped my ball joint life vs. not running one for a couple years....

Back