• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders / Step for wife

cipher

NAXJA Forum User
My wife and daughter have a hard time getting into my XJ so I have been looking at sliders that will act as a step for them. I am leaning toward the JCR Stage 3. Do you guys think these will work well as a step? Any other sliders that you recommend?

Thanks!

I went with stage 2's. They don't come up as high as the 3's. I was told by JCR that the 2's make a better step. They were right.

Yep. If anything it's more work to use the slider as a step than it is to just jump into the seat. I cut out the old rocker panels and welded in fabricated sliders with a tube - very similar to the JCR stage 3. They work great on the rocks but do absolutely nothing in terms of making it easier to get into the vehicle. If the family needs a step, I would get just that. A cheap one-step stool you can throw in the back and use when ever the family is along. It's a touch demeaning, but effective. In the end, rather than use the stool, your family will just quit complaining about getting in/out of the vehicle. It worked for me, but you have to be completely sincere about your solution. Yeah, I'm that guy.

X2 about them not working very well as a step...

Sure its a good reason to buy yourself sliders, if you dont really give a shit about your wife or daughter...

Well I do want sliders and don't need to justify it. I was just hoping to accomplish both goals with sliders. The side steps or whatever they are called that I have seen are ugly.

My sub-5' wife is severely vertically challenge. I always make sure her gym membership is paid, got to keep her strong enough to pull herself up and in, with the minimum of complaining.
She found the sliders to be useless in getting in or out.

Go red neck and take a length of chain, weld it to the bottom of the Jeep, and weld a few links in a row to make a horizontal step. Sides stay flexible and will flop out of the way, wife will hate it and make you get rid of it, then you can start over again.

I'm at 5.5" and have AJs sliders and my 3 year old has no problem crawling into my Jeep using them. She's 3 1/2 feet tall.

The stage 2's are OK as a step for the front seat--the back is not so good as the sliders stop at the front of the rear fender flares. They really are not designed for steps. In fact on my DD it takes some contorting to get in the driver's seat because often times the sliders are dirty and get my pants dirty. You will find that you must step on them to get out of the jeep or get the back of your pants (calves) dirty.
They really do stiffen up the chassis though. With a front and rear receiver, sliders, tank and t-case skids my XJ is still pretty tight.

If you're handy with a welder, why not add some removable steps to the sliders of your choice that you can leave in place for around town use and by pulling a couple of pins or bolts, remove for off road clearance.

That's what I plan on doing whenever I get around to building a set.

Hans

I have JCR stage 3 sliders and I like them. However, if I wanted to use them as a step I would buy the stage 2 sliders. They are lower and stick out more. The stage 3s are to close to the body for use as a good step.

If you're handy with a welder, why not add some removable steps to the sliders of your choice that you can leave in place for around town use and by pulling a couple of pins or bolts, remove for off road clearance.

That's what I plan on doing whenever I get around to building a set.

Hans

I plan to do this, by having two nuts welded to the bottom insides ... Bolt steps on for wife and kids, take off for off road playtime.

I have the JCR stage 2 sliders and my buddy has stage 3's. It makes it sorta difficult for his GF who is 5'4" to get in it as well as my crippled ass. The stage 2's seem to be just a bit easier to maneuver around.

Back