• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble tracing out this steering shake(not DW)

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so it all initially started after I was cruising down a trail at like 15mph and took a corner a little wide and clipped a rock, I dented my rim and popped a tire, since then I have a shimmy or shake in my steering between 50-60 mph... What I've found that helps fix this is either drivin on 15 lbs of tire pressure OR driving fully loaded with trail gear.

So far I've changed the upper and lower ball joints driver side, I've changed the upper steering TRE, i replaced both upper control arm axle bushings( old onew were totally trashed and dry rotted), I've went and had my tires balanced and rotated with no change, I've changed the complete steering gearbox and shaft directly above it and I've checked and torqued bolts to the front end. I've also checked my toe in which is good but I haven't checked my caster angle yet.

I have an 89 XJ with:
Vac disco axle d30 /d44 rear with an auto locker
Iron rock Offroad double sheer track bar
Iron rock Offroad fixed length lower control arms
2" coils " 1/ 3/4 poly spacer(temporary until I go long arms)
Approx 4" s-10 bastard back with JKS shackles
I do not have a TC drop since I never needed one before
5150 shocks front and rear with bar pin eliminators
... I think that's it... Bumpers sliders and roof rack won't add to why I shimmy

I know it's not death wobble simply because even while my steering wheel is shaking like I'm out of balance I can hit potholes with no change once I get past 60 it clears out and drives fine, I wouldn't even care so much but most of my main streets are posted between 45-55 :)

I have an extra used steering at my house that I've neglected to try but it's on my list

Anyone else have a suggestion/solution?

Sounds like you have an out of balance tire.

That's what I was kind of thinkin today coming down this canyon road, I'd approach the corner and as I was on the brakes I could feel the tire skipping/bouncing a lil on the driver side... I have 2 spares maybe ill mount em and see if I can make it disappear. Can they shave a tire to make it true to shape again? Is it even worth it?

I've done the whole front end inspection but nothing says it hasn't changed since I've done it last, that will be on my to do list tomorrow...

Yeah, I assume you've replaced the wheel?

Steel wheels bend out of round easily.

I've seen wheels balance out to 0 all while wobbling left to right like mad.

Yeah, I assume you've replaced the wheel?

Steel wheels bend out of round easily.

I've seen wheels balance out to 0 all while wobbling left to right like mad.

Didnt replace wheel they hammered it out and put in a new tire, ill try taking that wheel off(its on the rear) and see how that goes

Had a similar issue. Had the tires balanced 3 or 4 times with no luck.
Finally had them not just use weights in the inside of the rim, like they normally do for appearance's sake, but in and outside the rim. Problem solved.

Yeah, if a wheel is bent or out of round you can balance it all day long to within 1/4 of an ounce and it will still ride funky.
Rotate your tires front to back and report the results. I bet your hammered-on wheel is the culprit here.
Don't even think about messing with the tire or turning it down. A.) Nobody turns down tires and B.) The tire isn't the culprit. C.) It isn't out of balance, either - the wheel is out of round.

Yeah, if a wheel is bent or out of round you can balance it all day long to within 1/4 of an ounce and it will still ride funky.
Rotate your tires front to back and report the results. I bet your hammered-on wheel is the culprit here.
Don't even think about messing with the tire or turning it down. A.) Nobody turns down tires and B.) The tire isn't the culprit. C.) It isn't out of balance, either - the wheel is out of round.

Ok so here's the deal... I didn't have the greatest tires to swap out, I had a 1/2 worn swamper tsl radial on a brand new rim, a 10 year old like new km1 on a eco? TJ YJ rim, and I swapped out the previously bent wheel and a rim I just scuffed up pretty Good on the trail Sunday(both were on back)

Here's the deal, it got better but didnt go away 100% so I swapped the front for the backs same deal only slightly worse, this can't be a good test cuz the tires aren't all equal in height (all 31x10.50s thou) but with a rear locker it would pull one way on the gas and pull the opposite off the throttle...

My brother has a TJ on brand new tires and wheels ill see about swapping them out to see if rims are the cause... If they are looks like ill be using bent rims until I upgrade to 33's if not... Ill upgrade my steering to a currie setup... Might try a new set of upper and lower ball joints too on the passenger side... Can't hurt right?...

I might see about a professional 4x4 shop alignin my jeep, I'm beginning to think the casters off and I have no 100% way to check it.

Any other thoughts?

X1000 on a bent wheel

I'm just waiting to get a hold of my brothers jeep so I can swap out wheels and find out if you and everyone else is correct..

Question, if I've bent these wheels... What's a Stronger alternative? I haven't even been that rough on these pro comp wheels and you say bent... I was thinking maybe the procomp xtreme alloy 5029's even if I have to go 16's ill be ok as long as its an upgrade.

I just bought two new wheels to replace the two worst ones, and put them on the front.
Al wheels will crack instead of bending.
I really wish someone made a heavier guage steel wheel

I agree, I just noticed those wheels are good for 2500 lbs vs mine that are rated for 1600... I'd go full on beadlocks if they didnt ask for ur first born just to buy them lol

If you are bending/scuffing wheels up on rocks why not keep the steelies and reinforce them?

Like stated, an aluminum wheel is going to crack or break a chunk off in the same scenario you just went through. A steel wheel can at least be beat with a BFH to get off a trail. OR, you reinforce the steel wheel and your odds of being in the same predicament decrease drastically. Just saying...

Steelies can be had for an average of $100 a set around here used, clean them up and throw another $100 into them and youve got a damn strong wheel.

Example, mine: 5 wheels, $100, got a good deal from local guy I sat and b.s'd with about wheeling for an hour. Rock rings $125 for all 5 made by a local guy with a water jet, plus I have the digital copy if I ever need another single or another set. 2" valve stems, $4. I have never and will never see a wheel like mine on the street= priceless
IMG_20120103_145421.jpg

Weird lol I put my worst 2 wheels up front and it got better lol side note my caster angle is basically at 0 degrees, must of changed with the new upper bushings I installed after my trip to calico where i popped the tire, ill fix that tomorrow and report back.

Side note #2 I rotated my tires in the sense that the rounded edge is on the back side now so I have a fresh edge for forward bite. Idk if it made a difference but i have a lot less shake since I have them runnin in the opposite direction.

Back