• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amberless Tail Lights for an 87?

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to buy amberless (only red and clear) tail light lenses for my 87 XJ? I swear I saw them somewhere but now I can't find a picture or anything about them on the web.

those come from wagoneers

special trim package. You're looking for an XJ with fake wood paneling to pick those from.

Thanks 87manche, but I am familiar with the wagoneer tails and those aren't what I'm talking about. The one's I saw were half red half clear as if the amber section of the normal XJ taillight was clear instead. I see plenty of them for the 97-01 model, but none for the earlier...

Last edited:
I did a quick search on ebay motors but all I could find were stock with amber and wagoneer ones that are all red except for the backup light. I would think if there was a company making aftermarket ones that were red stop/clear turn they would be on there... so my guess is nobody makes them or if they did, they don't anymore and they're hard to find.

Wagoneer tail lights look pretty good though if you're just looking to get rid of the amber.

Wagoneer tail lights look pretty good though if you're just looking to get rid of the amber.
I agree, they are 2nd on my list, I just figured they were rare and harder to find. As I am finding out, that may not be true..

I do have jeep 2500 tail lights to put on, but when I saw the red/clear lenses, I thought those looked real good. I'm unsure how I will like the 2500 lenses.

I agree, they are 2nd on my list, I just figured they were rare and harder to find. As I am finding out, that may not be true..

I do have jeep 2500 tail lights to put on, but when I saw the red/clear lenses, I thought those looked real good. I'm unsure how I will like the 2500 lenses.

IMO I really don't like the look of the 2500 tail lights, but that's my opinion. There are a couple listings for the all red wagoneer tails on ebay motors, but it looks like they want 70-100 dollars for a pair which isn't worth it to me, especially since they are usually one of the first things I end up breaking on a wheeler. :D

I have a buddy who built a nice sheetmetal box out of the some thick gauge steel that bolts right into the stock location, and used a holesaw to put various LED lights. They turned out pretty good, but he's building for function not form.

Need these:

3350900010_large.jpg

IMO I really don't like the look of the 2500 tail lights, but that's my opinion. There are a couple listings for the all red wagoneer tails on ebay motors, but it looks like they want 70-100 dollars for a pair which isn't worth it to me, especially since they are usually one of the first things I end up breaking on a wheeler. :D

I have a buddy who built a nice sheetmetal box out of the some thick gauge steel that bolts right into the stock location, and used a holesaw to put various LED lights. They turned out pretty good, but he's building for function not form.

Yea, I'm not sure about the 2500 lights which is why I'm looking for these lights as a second option. I'm sure the one's I'm (apparently) imagining will look great. We'll see when the Jeep is finished and I try them on.

Little bit Ricey, ain't it?
That's a lotta bit ricey. No thanks!

To be honest I hadn't even considered how they looked, or what people thought - I bought them because they are VERY bright and visible (good for the foggy winters on the mountain).

Personally I think they look more like a Range Rover taillight. The only person that needs to like them is the person running them - they are so much brighter than stockers I'll take the Rice, make it 2 servings if you like. :)

XE-XJ-rr.jpg

at least the tail lights match your blinged out wheels and door handles!

I think those tails all depend on the color/ setup of the vehicle, they really dont look too bad on the pic above being on white with a little flash of chrome, but slapping them on just any car is usually not a good look... and dont get me going on the super awesome "carbon fiber" tails, haha

at least the tail lights match your blinged out wheels and door handles!

I think those tails all depend on the color/ setup of the vehicle, they really dont look too bad on the pic above being on white with a little flash of chrome, but slapping them on just any car is usually not a good look... and dont get me going on the super awesome "carbon fiber" tails, haha

they're the best when some guy has a totally rotted out beater here in the rust belt, with shiny new "altezza" tail lights and twenty-fohs.

Need these:

3350900010_large.jpg

My son has these on his '95. Usually they've got droplets of condensation in them. He's also got the half red/half clear on his '96. Close up, the quality is just not there. I inherited from him the clear/silver front markers, and they're on my silver '92. They look good, but don't fit properly, and one is cracked. Nothing aftermarket seems to be of a decent quality.

And the whole deal about amber vs. red...I appreciate when vehicles have different color flashers/turn signals. It used to be that European cars and better domestic vehicles (usually SUVs) had the amber turn signals. Quite often a car's stop or running light is burned out, if only because it's on a good deal of time, and the amber lights operate only to signal a driver's intent, thereby continuing to operate for a longer time. And, vehicles with separate stop and turn lighting circuits can operate the emergency flashers even if the driver's foot is on the brake.

And the whole deal about amber vs. red...I appreciate when vehicles have different color flashers/turn signals. It used to be that European cars and better domestic vehicles (usually SUVs) had the amber turn signals. Quite often a car's stop or running light is burned out, if only because it's on a good deal of time, and the amber lights operate only to signal a driver's intent, thereby continuing to operate for a longer time. And, vehicles with separate stop and turn lighting circuits can operate the emergency flashers even if the driver's foot is on the brake.

I'm not changing any of the circuitry... The turn sig bulbs will still only be for turns and brake light bulbs still only for the brake. All I did was get rid of the amber color. For the color scheme/look I'm going for on my Jeep, the amber seemed to be ugly to me.

Back