• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"shift lock" trans. not shifting

talawson42

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 97 Cherokee 4.0 auto. when it get warmed up ,bout 20-30 minutes of driving, it doesnt want to up shift unless i let of the gas. does anyone know what would cause this or have had this problem?:helpme:

This could be a few different things... I don't know about the 97, but it could be indicative of a vacuum leak. However, it could also be the "kick down" adjustment, which is that cable that runs from the throttle linkage, down to the transmission. However, while you're at it, replace the fuse on the TCU (Transmission control unit) which is located on the passenger side, under the dash (usually you will just see a random fuse sticking down for no reason, put a fresh one in).

On my old 89 I had the same problem, ended up being vacuum, but that was a very different animal, but I would guess the causes would be about the same.

In '97 they made several changes in the trans/TCU. You should be able to see any trans related codes. Have your Jeep scanned for codes; there may be a PO700 (generic trans code) and other more specific codes relating to trans problems.

The Throttle Position Sensor can affect shifting. And, the TV cable can as well.

Back