• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting to remove locker

Toybronco

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Powertrax Noslip locker into my 8.25, and have been happy with its performance, however, with the way it opperates, I want to remove it back to open differential for winter highway driving.
I have gotten into the diff, only to find I cannot get the "C" clip to come out.
Any suggestions??

Yes.. I can get the "C" clip to wiggle.. almost wanna fall out, but cannot get it to come out all the way. I have even made a small "pick" to try to pull it out with no luck.

Pull the axles out as hard as you can and then slam them back in. Smack the end of each axle with a 5 lb hammer.
If the clips went in, they should come out.

I have pushed the axle in and pulled it out as far as it will go each way.
The "C" clip moves around in the groove, and actually "drops" out a tiny bit, bout 1/32, just wont come out any farther.
Its gotta be something simple, I mean if the axle was needed to be removed, bent or broken, that "C" clip has gotta just come out??

Use alot of brake cleaner to get all the gear oil off of the c-clip. It doesn't take much oil to hold them in.

JIM.

Fwiw I love my powertrax no slip for crappy winter roads. Feels like more traction in 4wd. It does kinda suck turning in 2wd when the roads are slick.

To the OP, not really what you asked, but winter driving is not that big a deal with the NS locker, especially if you have FT4x4/NP242. Don't know that I'd want it on a slick road in the Wyoming mountains, but in general as long as you remember what you are driving it just is not a big issue.

I agree with him, mine is locked front and rear and winter drives fine. It's different but easily manageable. Would I toss the keys to my wife to drive to the store in the snow?.....no but I can handle it fine.

The biggest problem is when you want to play around it accelerates to fast with all four tires going. Nothing like a good long power drift in a snowy parking lot, then letting off and realize your going 50mph.

"Officer, just because my Jeep isn't pointing the same direction it's going doesn't me I'm not in control!"

I have had a few that were so bad that alt methods had to be done.

One I had to use a mig welder on and put tape on the locker on both sides of the slot so the wire would not ground till it hit the clip and then just tack the wire on to the c-clip and then pull it out with the mig wire.

But typically the bang it in and out till it comes out is the method that works.

Thank you all for the information.
Was un-able to remove the locker, and had to put it all back together.
I will attempt again when I have a couple days to mess with it.
Wyoming roads get wind blown snow, that packs down untill its like ice.
I worry that in light turns or accel/decel situations the locker will "mind of its own" and create loss of traction.
Especially with the wind we get here.

Thank you all for the information.
Was un-able to remove the locker, and had to put it all back together.
I will attempt again when I have a couple days to mess with it.
Keep in mind that the 'C' clips have a tendency to flatten over time making them larger in OD. Kind of like putting them on an anvil and flattening them with a hammer.

Granted, it doesn't end up being much, but getting them through the slot in the Noslip, it's quite a bit.

I found that taking some wire from a MIG welder, flatten one end as thin as possible then bending the flattened end in a 'U' shape about as wide as the 'C' clip. The MIG wire is just tough enough to no to open easily when pulling on the clip. Fish it over the open end of the 'C' clip then rotate the clip with a punch or ice pick. It'll take some patience, but it'll work. I spent pretty much a whole day under that axle until I figured this out.

Once you have the 'C' clips out, grind the OD down a bit more than stock so it won't happen again.

I have open diffs in my XJ and my buddy has a Powertrax in the rear of his and I prefer the way his drives on snow and ice better. I find having the locker makes the handling more predictable. Just my .02 cents.

I have open diffs in my XJ and my buddy has a Powertrax in the rear of his and I prefer the way his drives on snow and ice better. I find having the locker makes the handling more predictable. Just my .02 cents.

I agree with this.
Have you driven in the snow and ice with it before?

Back