• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob question

blakexcore

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Just got my first XJ, it's a 1998 2WD Sport.

I wanted to invest in a powertrax locker, and I was looking at this one:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=CKKV-PuulrMCFQkFnQodgDoAfg

It says that its for a 94-97 but mine is a 98 with the D35..(at least im almost positive it is, the diff cover says "dana" on it.) So it will still fit, right?

Anyhow, sorry if this is a stupid question, I just wanna make sure this will fit before I drop $500.

Should fit, to make sure you have a Dana 35 look at the bottom of the pumpkin, if it has a big flat unnecessary lip on it then is an 8.25. Other than that they should all be the same carrier, it lists Jeeps up to 06 with the 35 at the top

I just went and looked again. 99% sure it's a D35. I just was a little concerned about the year listing. I just need one bad lol. I will upgrade to a 4wd later, but for now I want to do light beginner off roading lol.

They probably listed the Cherokee up to 97 because that's when most swapped to only running the 8.25. But I'm sure there were still a few that made it through with that piece of crap... by the way, what size tires do you plan on running with that locker? Anything above a 31 and you'll grenade it sooner than later. Best bet is at least find an 8.25 to swap in (which is what should be under it) 29 spline, 3" axle tubes, bigger ring and pinion... better option for running 33-35" tires, some have run up to 37-39s but that's stressing it a lot

Bigger question is...... What are you doing with a 2wd that you think you need a locker for??

12551d1265860845t-rear-axle-identification-axle_id_01.jpg

I just went and looked again. 99% sure it's a D35. I just was a little concerned about the year listing. I just need one bad lol. I will upgrade to a 4wd later, but for now I want to do light beginner off roading lol.

Upgrading to 4WD can be really expensive. Personally I'd look for a totaled donor Jeep that has 4WD and the 8.25 rear axle rather than just locking your D35. Having just the rear locked will make it very difficult to climb out of ruts.

Upgrading to 4WD can be really expensive. Personally I'd look for a totaled donor Jeep that has 4WD and the 8.25 rear axle rather than just locking your D35. Having just the rear locked will make it very difficult to climb out of ruts.
let me rephrase. im not converting this one. im going to keep it 2wd and just buy a 4wd. thanks for the info guys

there is very very high chance that you will start breaking things with a locker. id just go ahead with your plan on your second 4x4.

everybody already knows the dana 35 is a turd, and thats usually with 4 wheel drive, so the front axle even not locked at least helps a little bit. but all the load going to one axle thats locked and sucks i think it would break much faster, since you have nothing to help "pull" you up over stuff or out of ruts.

Nice! Make sure it doesn't have a d35 too... :laugh2:

If you decide to lock the 4wd one down the road, now you have two diffs to choose from, the subject of which should be locked first is somewhat of a religious debate. Everyone strongly believes they are right, and no one agrees. If you lock the rear, make sure you get a locker with the right spline count - the 8.25 was 27 spline until mid 1996, then changed to 29 spline. So all 95s and earlier have 27 spline, all 97s and later have 29 spline, and 96s are a mixed bag, most have the older 27 spline axles. There's absolutely no reliable way to tell which spline count a 96 8.25 has without pulling it apart and counting them.

edit: my personal belief is that if you are only locking one diff, with an autolocker, it should be the front, because that makes it invisible on the road. If you're only locking one with an LSD, it can be either, I'd lean towards the rear. If you're only locking one with a full selectable, it's your call but I'd probably put it in the rear. Full selectable and an auto, I'd put the auto in the front and the selectable locker in the rear. I'm sure there are people who will disagree, for a variety of valid reasons.

Last edited:
Back