• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck bolt stub

mdmbkr

NAXJA Forum User
Front driver side leaf spring hanger:

i-LScTx5v-L.jpg

The reason I cut it in the first place is because the bolt was rusted to the inside of the spring eye bushing. I loosened the bolt a little and then cut both sides. I guess I didn't loosen it enough. The welded nut is still intact.

Any suggestions on how to get this little chunk of metal out?

heat it with propane/map gas torch for a minute , spray it with water, hammer all around it, hit it with penetrating oil . repeat that 10 times - heating and cooling should help the bolt/nut expand and contract, the hammering around it also helps loosen some of the crap out of there. . then try to use some vice grips or use a flat blade screw driver in the slot.

I slide a nut over the stud, then weld the stud to the nut, making sure to weld long enough to get it nice and hot. The heat cycle tends to break it loose.

Assuming you can't weld, and have no access to propane or map gas torches...

Cut a small access hole in the bottom of that "pocket." Then cut that bolt off flush if you can. Looks like maybe you have 1/4 inch or more sticking out. Stick an air hammer in the access hole and beat the weld nut free. Then, when you go to mount the new spring, just thread a new nut/washer combo through the access hole and tighten.

I've had no problems having done mine that way. And yes, heat will help. I had no access to heat when I did mine. It would have made things much easier, though.

Even now, if I need to use heat for anything I just use a small handheld plumbers torch. Pretty cheap at the home stores.

I have a buddy with a welder. Maybe we can weld a nut on there and then use a wrench?

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't really want to cut into that pocket but I guess I have to do what it takes!

Heat heat heat... I did my whole lift with no heat and it was a nightmare, including the front leaf bolts. I broke the weld nut off, and had to cut a hole in the frame to access it.

Recently, I added shackles, with heat, and I hated myself for the entire time it took- because it was so easy.

heat heat heat

Success! I was able to weld a nut onto the stud and loosen it that way. I actually had to re-weld it 4 or 5 times because the nut would break off after loosening the stud about a turn. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

i-jS2svSd-L.jpg

Glad to see you got it out.

Back