• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffeners install question

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a Full-Traction long arm suspension that I've been running for awhile (like 6 years and 50+ thousand miles). I recently purchased a set of T&T frame stiffeners to beef up the unibody while I can still close my doors properly. The way I see it I have at least 2 options to install the stiffeners but thought I'd get some input first.

1st - I could remove all the Full-Traction bracketry and install the stiffeners, then re-install the Full-Traction bracketry. Adding all new holes as needed into the stiffeners to install the brackets. (and I have the option to weld the brackets to the outside of the stiffeners as well)

2nd - Leave all the Full-Traction brackets in place and weld them to the "frame". Then carefully cut the stiffeners to fit around the brackets and weld them to the "frame" and to the brackets. Essentially making the brackets part of the stiffeners.

Just lookin to see what opinions/advice you might have on these 2 options and why they may be good or bad. Thanks.

i would take the brackets off and weld the stiffeners on then weld the brackets on.

^what he said. I'm not sure how the full traction long arm brackets mount, but if they're bolt on, you'll have more metal by mounting the brackets to the stiffeners and be able to grab more threads.

i would take the brackets off and weld the stiffeners on then weld the brackets on.

This.

Except I would retain the way the brackets bolt on and only add a couple of short welds on the ends to ensure they stay in place. Then if you ever have to remove them or decide to sell them, its not too bad to get them off.

Hi, I have the same lift and the HD offroad stiffeners. I can say that you will run into issues trying to add the FT brackets over the stiffeners. Most of the holes will no longer line up as the brackets are now spaced outward. I had to slot mine to get them to bolt up again.

If your frame rails are dinged up at all, then the stiffeners won't seat the same on both sides, which will make the suspension brackets not line up the same.

I'd suggest leaving them as is, welding to the frame, trimming stiffeners to weld around suspension brackets.

Back