• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible to fit a 33x10.50 in stock spare location?

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
Got a great deal on a set of (5) bfg 33x.10.50. Currently have my spare 245/75 in stock spare location and works great. Hate to lose my cargo space, and would rather not have to buy a tire carrier, so just fishing for ideas on if anyone has stuffed a 33 back there, and still had a useable rear seat?

Haven't had a chance to try, maybe Weds, but I can think of, letting most of the air out, hoping the seat compresses the tire a bit, and/or removing rear hatch cover.

FWIW, i cannot fit a 31x10.50 in the stock location. no room top to bottom.
say whaaaa?

here's my 245/75.. granted, it's prob a 30.5, but plenty of room to spare underneath.. like 2-3".. that's w/the sound bar too. my concern is between the seat and hatch.

8d9190f6.jpg

647845ca.jpg

The biggest I have ever seen work without modifications is a 30" tire. I have seen a 31" fit by modifying the rear bench. Bigger than that will simply not fit without removing the rear seat. The only other thing I could recommend is to try putting it flat on the floor. But you lose a lot of cargo space that way.

you can let the air out, if you have a way to air it up in time of need but there has to be a better place to put it.

i welded d rings to my floor, so that i can ratchet strap it vertically along the back of the rear seat. my 35's fit perfectly there.

I think it would be a pain in the butt to air the tire down 100%, smash it into the rear seat, then hold it smashed while i try one handed to put the spacer and nut on to hold the tire.

Then when it snows in denver with a 30 mph wind, you gotta stand on the side of the road and wait for your portable "slime" pump to pump up a 33 for 15 minutes...

Im just spitballing why i wouldnt want to have a flat spare when I have a flat tire, worst case scenarios, right?

I love my tire carrier, lots of Cargo room. Go jeep's site has a write up on fitting a 32 in there.

I think it would be a pain in the butt to air the tire down 100%, smash it into the rear seat, then hold it smashed while i try one handed to put the spacer and nut on to hold the tire.

Then when it snows in denver with a 30 mph wind, you gotta stand on the side of the road and wait for your portable "slime" pump to pump up a 33 for 15 minutes...

Im just spitballing why i wouldnt want to have a flat spare when I have a flat tire, worst case scenarios, right?

I know, not something I'd do but it was a suggestion ... somebody has to be "That Guy" from time to time

lol.. now that is funny. i have one of those v50 compressors, so should take about 12 mins. :D

but yeah, i get your point.. im gona give it a try, and see. gut feeling says won't work, but if it does, that's $400+ i can use for something else. :thumbup:

I had a 32x11.5 there until I put in WJ rear bench. Delete the little bracket at the bottom, sit tire on floor, lean against window. To secure it, I used a piece of threaded rod, heated it, bent one corner, put it through the stock body side bracket, and locked it with two nuts. Then put the threaded rod through one of the lug holes, or if you still have the plastic saucer use that through the center hole. Bolt it down. It would fit but touch both the rear bench and the hatch. Kinda had to slam ye hatch. Don't think a 33 will fit unless it's a small/flat 33.

The WJ bench sits a touch further back than the xj bench, so now it's laying in the floor. Eventually I'll replace my rigid end caps with their tire carrier setup and get it back outside.

Might be able to strap it to the back of the seat, like someone suggested. Should take up less space if you can secure it

it fits!

IMG_2912_zps9dd5cc76.jpg

IMG_2913_zpsa89c0369.jpg

IMG_2915_zps447af6ac.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsddce9a6f.jpg

i first mounted it w/out air.. fit, no problem. then i filled it w air.. the driver's side seat latch won't grab, but the passenger side does.

Nice, I gotta roll with a baby seat or id take my wind screen off the roof and throw it back there, I run the same size. Good to know it fits though

Nice, I gotta roll with a baby seat or id take my wind screen off the roof and throw it back there, I run the same size. Good to know it fits though

i have 2 baby seats back there too... i always put one in the middle and one on the pass side. still fit the same, despite the driver's side not latching.

agreed. i only have one latch right now and the seat can be ripped out of the other latch by hand.

Back