• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mounts

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Are oem replacements from NAPA or Autozone such a bad idea?

Mine are original, 24 years old. The rubber is shrunk and dried, but the hardware seems fine.

My wheeling is more low speed trail crawling (does get twisted up a bit) not high speed whoops

Are the aftermarket heavy duty mounts really needed/beneficial?

Brown Dog Rubber Mounts. End of story. Mine aswel do the tranny mount too. Replaced my motor mounts and they were so solid they sent the vibes right to my tranny mount which has never been replaced :doh:

Yes do the tranny mount also.

Go rubber for smooth ride, or go tube style Poly for locking the motor in place and transfering all torque to the drivetrain. I have Prothane motor and Daystar poly tranny mounts. You can feel everything the motor is doing, and I don't mind this at all.

If you do get your XJ in bind while wheeling, and it breaks a rubber mount in the process, you might wipe out some other stuff under the hood depending on how radical you are or how much torque when it pops.

Brown Dog all the way. I have the rubber insert, and you will still get vibration. They are well made and the customer service is outstanding.

I'd say for a wheeling rig, some kind of beefier motor mounts are definitely a plus. Go to the parts store and ask to look at a new OEM replacement mount and you will probably be surprised to see that the rubber in them does not fill the metal housing all the way like you are expecting it would new. The factory ones and oem replacement ones are designed to be kind of "free floating" for lack of a better term so they don't transmit vibrations to the body, but that also means they have a tendency to allow the motor to move around more than aftermarket ones and that free slop in them leads to tearing over time when the rubber gets weak. Many a good day out wheeling has been ruined by a broken motor mount that lets the fan touch the radatior.

I'll take a little extra vibration from any of the aftermarket poly or rubber mounts over that any day.

OEM mounts work just fine for all applications that an OEM Jeep would be used.

If you wanted another answer you should have posted in the right Forum ;)

We wish we had a dollar for every time we recommend someone buy OEM-style mounts for their XJ that only drives paved streets and highways. We try our best to be sure our customers get the right product for their application...whether it's our product or not.:eek:

88trailcrawler...you'll need to loosen the trans mount bolts when you change your motor mounts. Be sure to inspect the trans mount closely. It often tears like a sandwich making inspection difficult until it's exposed.

Yep, the Autozone part will be fine. Lifetime warranty, and that part is not
one that you would need to use their lifetime warranty every 6 months, like their alternators and starters:sad1:

I wish Brown Dog would manufacture a motor mount!

I wish Brown Dog would manufacture a motor mount!

I think you mean tranny mount ;) they would sell just as good as their motor mounts, I know id buy one to go with mine.

I won a set of the rubber ones two years ago and a set of the super block brackets last year at NACfest. I dont have the brackets on yet, but the moumts are great and keep my engine in place.

Back