• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which to do first

coldcdn

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a question as the title says which should i do first. I recently purchased a set of ruffstuff frame stiffners for my 1992 xj. I also pulled the carpet out to discover that the floor pans in the front have a decent amount of cancer. Iam also prepping to remove my rotten rocker's and to the 2x6 square tube install. So i figure the rockers should wait till the frame stiffners are installed since i will be running supports down to the stiffners. My real concern is that i dont want to remove alot of the structure from the vechile,becuase it would really suck to have it cave in ect.. I realize i might be over thinking this but figured it could not hurt to ask so does it matter which i do first iam thinking of fixing the floor pans first . thanks for any input

I havn't had to deal with too much rot with the XJ's, but used to be a huge issue with my old VW's. I would get in there with a hand drill with a wire brush attachment, get it down to bare metal, and then apply any of the zinc based primers (provides galvanic protection) and then go over that with a heavy coat of acrylic machine paint.

In the cases where the rot is all the way through the metal, cut out the affected parts, and then I would try to hit the junkyard to find that same area that was good on another vehicle, or if it was flat enough, I would spot weld in a new plate of steel. You can also mig weld the new part in. If it's a structural part, I would recommend either using MIG with shield gas, or perhaps stick to make sure you get adequate penetration.

Your over thinking it... I could see if you had no cage and you wanted to chop the whole roof off, do sliders, and cut half the floor away. But patch paneling I don't see as a big deal if the whole rig is in tact

dude fix floor, then just slap in the stiffeners, then 2x6, then legs from 2x6 to stiffeners. its pretty cut and dry.

Back