• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower issue, replacing heater core what else?

TB2Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ 4.0 and my ac and heat work perfectly fine except the blower setting does not work on setting three. It works fine on setting 1, 2, and 4 but not 3. Any ideas what might be wrong? Also, I'm replacing my heater core and was wondering while I have it torn apart what else should I replace while I'm in there? I was going to replace the blower motor is there anything else?

The obvious best answer is the evaporator, but when I had mine apart I also replaced the foam that seals the HVAC box to the firewall. I used high density closed cell foam that I got from a craft store, then painted it with black flexible paint. I also cleaned the box and the drain tube. There was a lot of dirt in mine, which changes to mud from condensation that can clog the drain tube (which can result in water entering the passenger compartment). I also lightly lubed the pivot points for the doors with white lithium grease.

The evaporator (in my '97) sits in a Styrofoam form, mine was in bad shape and I didn't want to wait to order a new one so I repaired it with hot glue after spraying it with mold and mildew killer.

The Blower Motor Resistor (BMR) controls the fan speeds. Either the BMR has failed or the dashboard switch has failed.

If the heat works, why replace the heater core ?

If you do replace the heater core, replace the A/C evaporator at the same time.

I'm replacing the heater core because when I turn the heat on there is a strong antifreeze smell. I figured it was the heater core because I can only smell it when the heat is on.

So I don't have to pull the whole dash for the blower motor? Will I have to disconnect ac lines to pull the motor? Since I have to disconnect ac lines to do the heater core and evaporator I figured I would do them both at the same time. If I don't have to remove the ac lines to replace the motor I will wait to replace it. I just don't want to pay to have the ac recharged twice. I still can't seem to figure out why the heat/ac doesn't blow out at all on fan setting 3.

So I don't have to pull the whole dash for the blower motor? Will I have to disconnect ac lines to pull the motor? Since I have to disconnect ac lines to do the heater core and evaporator I figured I would do them both at the same time. If I don't have to remove the ac lines to replace the motor I will wait to replace it. I just don't want to pay to have the ac recharged twice. I still can't seem to figure out why the heat/ac doesn't blow out at all on fan setting 3.

As I said before. The blower motor is on the ENGINE side of the firewall behind the squirter bottle. Open the hood and look where the hood meets the rear of the passenger side fender at the bottom of the windshield area. The blower motor is right there held in with 3 or 4 sheet metal screws. You will probably need to remove the squirter bottle.

Dead simple to replace.

Back