• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pressure power steering hose

About the only way to repair a pressurized hydraulic hose is to cut out the damaged section, and install end fittings to connect the 2 pieces. Cheaper in this case to just buy a new hose, or get one from the junkyard.

That is one of the few items that no one repairs. Pressure goes as high 10,000 psi. When a hose leaks it means the entire hose is shot, end of life. Takes special expensive equipment to install the high pressure fittings. And no hose shop will repair one.

That is one of the few items that no one repairs. Pressure goes as high 10,000 psi. When a hose leaks it means the entire hose is shot, end of life. Takes special expensive equipment to install the high pressure fittings. And no hose shop will repair one.
That's not true. I can't count how many hoses on the farm where we cut out the damaged section, and had new ends swaged on to repair them. Granted, these are 1" to 2" and longer hoses as well (looking at a few hundred bucks to replace vs. 2 ends and a swage job.)

That's not true. I can't count how many hoses on the farm where we cut out the damaged section, and had new ends swaged on to repair them. Granted, these are 1" to 2" and longer hoses as well (looking at a few hundred bucks to replace vs. 2 ends and a swage job.)

I don't know a single competent hydraulic hose store that would risk the product liability of repairing a used damaged hose, unless it was a new hose with a bad fitting install and they could afford to remove an inch or 2 of length, or an almost new very large (long and large diameter, expensive) hose with physical impact damage, and not an old worn out used hose.

If it was a new hose and the hose itself failed (no external damage), I would suspect the entire hose material to be defective , and still would not risk repairing it.

Replace it, trans/steering fluid will burn your jeep down.

Cheaper in this case to just buy a new hose, or get one from the junkyard.

If you want a spare spend an extra $17.99 and get two. No reason to keep a leaky high-pressure hydraulic line.

Sooo, consensus is to repair it...Got it!

Yep, just wrap some duct tape around it and go!!!

:doh:

I will actually try some gorilla tape just for giggles and take a pic. We will see if it holds.

What is the number for your local fire department?:D

You also might want to check out the specials on 5 gallons of power steering fluid.:roflmao:

LOL!!!

Back