• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque convertor not locking up?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 with an AW4 and it seems (not sure) that my torque convertor isn't locking up like it should.

I'm on 33s with 4.88 gears and the correct (41 tooth) speedo gear but, when at a steady highway cruise, give it a little gas and the tach needle will show in increase in rpms with no increase in speed (like it's coming up to stall speed).

I'm very anal about maintenance....fluid and filter changed regularly and have a pretty good trans cooler.

How do you check to see if it is in fact, locking up and is there a sensor or solenoid that controls this (might need replacing?)

Thanks

Hans

There is a switch on your brake pedal that controls your brake lights, cruise control cutoff if you have cruise, and the torque converter lockup (so it unlocks if you step on the brakes). If it's out of adjustment it can cause it not to lock up. That's at least one thing to check.

Back