• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reman durango box grinding noise

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a video I can post later. But my brand new steering box has been fine for a couple months. Now out of no where I'm having an annoying grinding noise when I turn the wheel 1/4 turn left or right. Fast google search said it might be the small ujoint in the shaft. Thoughts? I'm 95% sure it's coming from the box or ujoint and not a TRE

Ok the bolt is tight but the small ujoint is fairly loose. I'm pretty sure I just answered my own question. Now how to replace this? Drop the whole steering box and replace it like an axle ujoint? The ujoint on my parts jeep (89 renix) is nice and tight. Should I use it on my 93xj? Or can I pick one up at napa

Alright. I found this write up. Looks like I get to replace the whole shaft
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/40063-XJ-lower-steering-shaft-install

Easy enough. Now the question. Will the steering shaft from my 89 renix fit on my 93HO?
The thread only mentions years 90-96 but at a glance they appear to be the same. $110 steering shaft is not in the budget

Once again, does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

I'v changed Saginaw steering columns from Renix era to H.O. era, but I don't remember if I swapped the steering shaft at the same time--

I think you should be able to swap them, but I'd still wait on someone who's done it.

ok. I pulled the steering shaft. it will fit. onto the next 2 problems. it's not in perfect shape being 23 years old. the ujoints are greasy and not snug at all. they just flop around. should I even bother installing this thing?

2nd problem is when I looked at mine again, seems like the ujoint might be fine but the output shaft(?) on the steering box might have the teeth sheared off or something. I didn't look. I'll find out for sure tomorrow in the daylight. but heres a video

it's hard to hear. listen closely

http://youtu.be/m4eZSgIkAQ4

Last edited:
ok. swapped out the steering shaft. still grinding noise. checked the frame for cracks, nothing
maybe it's at the pitman arm? drag link end is bad (but it's brand new)? everyone who has looked at this thing is as stumped as I am

oh also I bent a JCR spacer some how

246.jpg

Back