• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ valve cover removal question?

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing my 6 cyl. valve cover gasket soon, will it clear the thermostat housing after I remove all the bolts and lines to the cover?
I've had other engines "look" like the valve cover will clear but found I had to remove everything around the cover due to the shape of the valve train and baffles inside.
I do plan on modifying the baffle tubes per recommended procedure and have a new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus VS 50522 T to install.
Thanks! b5

I have never had to remove the tstat housing when doing a valve cover gasket on a Renix.

You are on the right track in wanting to unscrew the baffles and clean out all the gunk.

Yesterday it became apparent I'll need to remove the top cooling system hoses at the very least to remove the valve cover. As I'm not prepared to partially drain the cooling system this is on hold for me. :(

To remove the valve cover it should not be necessary to disconnect the heater core hoses; you can just unclip the hoses from the factory plactic retainer, remove plastic retainer from the valve cover stud and move the hoses out of the way while removing the valve cover.

Back