• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T&T's Project "Budget" XJ

Rock Yacht

NAXJA Member #1242
NAXJA Member
After building top shelf Jeeps, we decided it was time to build something closer to a reasonable budget.

We started with a 1994 Jeep XJ ($2600)which is the daily driver for one of our team members, here at T&T Customs.
Total estimated price of this build was $7200 which I know it isn't the "cheapest build" but is a jeep that can do 75 down the highway and wheel any place you want besides the mall :laugh3:, Also the price may vary depending on the deals you score on parts.

Specs:
Dana 44 high pinion
Ford Truck 8.8
4.1 Teralow
37x12.50x15 Old style MTRs
"Home" made beadlocks
T&T Customs Trusses
Both axles are equipped with Detroit lockers and 4.88s
T&T Customs Rock-Tek 5.5 suspension system
T&T Customs front winch bumper
T&T Customs rock sliders
T&T Customs uni-body stiffener
T&T Customs uni-body stiffener extensions

Stock XJ
STOCKXJ_zpsbb1642c7.jpg

Ready for teardown

abouttoteardown_zpsb8f34d62.jpg

Rear axle is out and the new leaf springs are in with the T&T customs UBE ready to find their way under the truck 8.8 we are swapping in.

newleafs_zps627d2756.jpg

8.8 under the XJ

newaxles_zpsc1987d8b.jpg

I figured showing you how to hook up brake lines and shocks is not really necessary so here is how the back of the XJ looks.

37s_zps2c8de41c.jpg

Funny picture because race car ;)
funnypicture_zps2fcdbe17.jpg

Removal of the front Dana turdy(30)

stiffnersandextensions_zps794945bf.jpg

Time for Uni-body Stiffeners and Extensions.

extensions_zps860857a7.jpg

Installing our T&T Y link on the axle that was truss! Remember we make axle swaps easy ;)
trussandarms_zpscd5a2f9c.jpg

Axle installed now checking for bumpstops and trimming.

checkingforbumpstopsandtrim_zpsf3dc98ab.jpg

All done!

sittingonaxles_zps70f97b6e.jpg

William!

Great build! When are you guys going to make a rear bumper/tire carrier?

We have some ideas for a rear bumper and a inner tire carrier but nothing to be release just yet. I will try to post some pictures but I cant promise you anything just yet

William.

Why an 8.8 with drums? How much more would one with discs be if any?

Aw bummer I was hoping it was a narrow one. Cuz I have a xj 44 rear, and 44 front that's narrowed, but i want to put in a full width front 44, but I'm scared there will be a huge difference in wms to wms

Why an 8.8 with drums? How much more would one with discs be if any?

We already had the axle and we wanted a very close width to the front axle, and we can stop the jeep on 37s with no problem.

Aw bummer I was hoping it was a narrow one. Cuz I have a xj 44 rear, and 44 front that's narrowed, but i want to put in a full width front 44, but I'm scared there will be a huge difference in wms to wms

You can run the same front axle but you will need to add wheel spacers to match it, and most likely get new wheels or you will have a mismatch set of wheels...

William

Great build! When are you guys going to make a rear bumper/tire carrier?

I am working on a matching rear bumper to our Rock Runner front winch bumper. I've got one on my Jeep and have been testing the design for awhile now. Watch for the production release in Jan 2013. As for the tire carrier, still sorting that out - stay tuned.

Bob

I am working on a matching rear bumper to our Rock Runner front winch bumper. I've got one on my Jeep and have been testing the design for awhile now. Watch for the production release in Jan 2013. As for the tire carrier, still sorting that out - stay tuned.

Bob

Sweet! I'm running your rock runner now and have been waiting for a matching rear bumper. Will the tire carrier be an add-on to the rear bumper or something completely separate? Thanks for the heads up!

I think you've been misinformed about the width difference lol

Back