• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote mounted automatic transmission filter, spin on style?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know why I thought about this, but I did, and now I'm trying to figure out how to do it, as well as if it's even easily doable. A few automatic transmissions out there have switched to a spin on, external transmission filter(the Allison transmission found in GM trucks is one example), but what about retrofitting a remote oil filter kit, inline with the transmission cooler, and using a spin-on transmission filter? The trick to it all is is finding a spin-on transmission filter that's the same dimensions as a filter on one of the remote oil filter kits. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to do the research, since I work for a parts store and can call up Wix tech line, and get a list of the measurements of the spin-on filters, and then try and find a remote oil filter kit that they will match up to. Or at very least find out the plausibility of using a standard oil filter to filter ATF. If it would be plausible, I may look into grabbing a remote oil filter mount off of a 4wd S-10.

Why? Idk. Maybe added insurance, easier maintenance, a little more fluid capacity(depending on the size of the filter, close to 1/2-3/4 quart?)

Thoughts?

I've got a spin on filter on my MJ. Prior owner put it on. It uses a Wix51515/FordFL-1 on a regular engine remote oil filter mount. Not sure who made the bracket. There's no name/number cast into the mount anywhere, but it looks like a Mister Gasket adapter. It's plumbed with dash-6 AN fittings(3/8")on the pressure line from the transmission to the cooler.

(Thumbnail is a link to larger photo at photobucket)

The AN fittings and braided stainless are overkill for a stock vehicle. There's not a lot of pressure on the trans lines. Might be room under the hood on the right side where the lines run up from the trans. The lines are already there and its away from the heat of the exhaust.

I don't know why I thought about this, but I did, and now I'm trying to figure out how to do it, as well as if it's even easily doable.
Why? Idk. Maybe added insurance, easier maintenance, a little more fluid capacity(depending on the size of the filter, close to 1/2-3/4 quart?)

Thoughts?
A little easier way of adding filtration is to use an inline transmission filter, as shown below. The transmission cooler return line was already cut when the extra cooler was added.One is also installed in the power steering return line.
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-58964-In-Line-Transmission-Filter/dp/B0014BCFC0
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/r...aign=product&gclid=CJGr5vapiLMCFURxQgodbRgAGw

I don't know why I thought about this, but I did, and now I'm trying to figure out how to do it, as well as if it's even easily doable. A few automatic transmissions out there have switched to a spin on, external transmission filter(the Allison transmission found in GM trucks is one example), but what about retrofitting a remote oil filter kit, inline with the transmission cooler, and using a spin-on transmission filter? The trick to it all is is finding a spin-on transmission filter that's the same dimensions as a filter on one of the remote oil filter kits. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to do the research, since I work for a parts store and can call up Wix tech line, and get a list of the measurements of the spin-on filters, and then try and find a remote oil filter kit that they will match up to. Or at very least find out the plausibility of using a standard oil filter to filter ATF. If it would be plausible, I may look into grabbing a remote oil filter mount off of a 4wd S-10.

Thoughts?
A lot easier getting one from a speed shop Outkast and I have the same set up. The B&M comes with everything you need except hose!

I work for O'Reilly, thus the acsess to Wix tech info.... Called them today, said it is NOT advisable to use a standard oil filter in place of a spin on transmission filter. We can get B&M through work, I'll have to see what they have.

i also work for o'reilly....
i know what you mean by wanting to make your own. we don't make enough money to buy food, much less aftermarket performance parts.
if you put the filter inline of one of the cooler lines, do you still keep the internal pan filter as well?

i also work for o'reilly....
i know what you mean by wanting to make your own. we don't make enough money to buy food, much less aftermarket performance parts.
if you put the filter inline of one of the cooler lines, do you still keep the internal pan filter as well?

The pay isn't too much of an issue for me, and I'm the stores top salesman, so I get a nice little bonus every month. I get by with a little extra for play money, making the most of my employee discount with my Jeep build. A large portion of my Jeep is parts I've hand picked off the shelfs at work on slow days.

I work for O'Reilly, thus the acsess to Wix tech info.... Called them today, said it is NOT advisable to use a standard oil filter in place of a spin on transmission filter.
Did they say why a regular spin-on filter shouldn't be used? Curious because I've got one, and now wondering if I should ditch it.

Magnefine Transmission Filter
http://www.magnefinefilters.com
Fitting: 3/8”
Cost: $16.00

Features:
-Dual filtration - Magnet and filter media filters down to 3 micron and removes 99% of all wear metal contaminants.
-Full flow filter (Does not restrict flow and contains a built-in bypass system in case filter becomes clogged)
-Prolongs life of fluid
-Prolongs life of transmission
-Reduces the need to drop the pan to change OE filter.

33846874238_large.jpg

33846874263_large.jpg

I like that option, thanks for sharing. I think the Barracuda and the Jeep will get one of these.

i sourced my set up for my aw4 from a Subaru Tribeca. located behind the left headlight is a mount for a spin on filter for the transmission. i cut and re welded the steel mount into a T shape and drilled and tapped two holes and bolted it in place just to the right of the crankshaft pulley (pass side) of the front crossmember . i will replace the internal filter with a new one, and then from there on i plan to just change the spin on once a year .less mess and easy to do is the main point of doing this Modification.:clap:

Back