• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack'n'tap

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions:
Is a hack & tap SYE not advisable for DD vehicles?
Is there any chance the yolk off my 29 spline 8.25's pinion is the same size/spline count/diameter/etc as I'd need to get to pull off a hack 'n' tap?

Thanks, y'all!

Define advisable. A stock XJ should not need an SYE. Explain why you want to install one.

No, the axle yoke will not make an SYE.

hmm for a DD ? Probably fine for a hard wheeler I wouldn't recommend it.

I did a 4" lift and went with the wait and see policy and I guess my angles were good enough because it rode great w no vibes for like a year. At that point my old stock joints started going bad so when I did the joints I did the I.R.O. H.N.T. With the front d.s. For the rear and shimmed accordingly.

It seemed to be just fine and for my (light to mid) wheeling was just fine..

I used red loctice and torqued to spec. And even dropped my shaft a few times to check torque (and more threadlock) .

after all that one day I got mad vibes. The bolt that holds the yoke on the output shaft was gone. Luckily my ds plus the yoke length was too long to allow the ds to fall out while driving.

so I was going to have to babysit and worry about this mod. Until I swapped my case for a built one I got off a member here that has a full hd sye and a few other goodies . And I gotta say peace of mind is priceless.

I've been running a H&T on my daily driver for at least 4 years now without a single issue. Install it properly and use the appropriate chemicals (i.e. grease, loctite, etc.)

My 2000 is lifted a little more than 4", on 31's. It has been, for about 4 years now, and there seems to be some slop developing in the slip yolk, so I was thinking, since I don't have a spare case to build into the super short, 2-low, terra-low box I'd love, I'd save some time removing & installing the case and just do an in-place hack'n' tap.I was worried about the bolt being off center or the shaft being the wrong length etc, but it sounds like quite an improvement.
Thanks for your help!

Yep or you Can install it properly ,Torque it properly and loctice/ grease it properly and still have an issue, that's just life.
You may never have a problem but eliminating that as a possibility certainly doesn't hurt.
In the end I was warned by someone on here and the shop that sometimes works on it. And after even the one issue I'm glad it's gone.

It did however serve it's purpose just fine until then and didn't break anything so it could be used just fine still so no real loss. I could likely put it back and never have a problem but now I know I won't. It did just fine on my DD to tide me over until I could get a built case so it worked out pretty good.

you will be fine installing it there's plenty of writeups on here and it's not too hard. Managed to get mine straight but even if it is a bit off it doesn't matter so much because it not centered by that bolt and just the weight of the bolt head isn't going to cause issues.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the part about being lifted. Just about any lifted Cherokee will benefit from an SYE which reduces drive line angles and stress on the T-case and differential bearings.

My 00 has had a H&T and now has a full HD SYE and I drive it to work every day. There is nothing wrong with a properly installed H&T SYE. Nearly all H&T failures are from poor workmanship during the installation.

It'll fail if you plan on doing some hardcore rock crawling it with 37s.

If you run a more modest package (I run a 3" lift and 31s. the "331 combo") like me, it's fine. I have a hack n tap, and it's been fine. I've beat on it once in a while, tow often (I buy, fix, and trade/sell garden tractors).

Just my thoughts.
Matt

Back