• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chainy sound over bumps coming from rear

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I have a 98 XJ, 4.0L, NV242J, Lifted 3inch Rusty's.

The sound happens when I go over bumper or dips and quite literally sounds like their is a chain dangling from the mid of the undercarriage to the rear. Sounds like each link of the chain smacks upwards and then subsides.

Any suggestions, I have been under it a lot and havn't come across anything that seems loose.

Thanks!
Eric

The t-case chain was my first thought, I replaced the entire tcase with a "rebuilt one" as the old one was cracked. The new t-case works fine but the noise remained. Also I think the chain noise of a tcase is a little more "thudier" or holowish. This chain noise is more high pitched

Last edited:
yup, and their is a little gremlin that takes em off every time I park =)

check the leaf spring clamps (things that wrap around the spring pack) for loseness. They can rattle kinda like a higher pitched "chainy" sound if they aren't secured to the pack very well.

I had the sound before and after I did a rustys 3inch lift. I t=did the add a leaf and replaced the leaf pack wrap with the one from the kit and didn't reuse the old ones.

My coil spring retainers make a similar sound like that.
The bolts striped and only came out far enough to change the coil.

Back