• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stabilizer bolt

gajeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
Somehow or another the bolt that bolts the stabilizer to the drag link fell off :dunno:

The only thing I could find local was a "Universal Shock Mount" but looked like what was there originally...only the threads on the drag link side are a little short.

What do you guys think, leave it as is, remove the washer to catch a couple more threads, or hit the hardware store and get a 7/16 shouldered bolt and some washers/spacers? The only reason I went with the universal deal was it is tapered and has the spacer for the stabilizer bushing all as one piece.

Pic attached.

IMAG0003.jpg

just go pick up a new bolt/nut/lock washer from the hardware store thats the correct length and size, get some grade 8 stuff and be done with it

Thanks. I just wanted an opinion before I put a non-tapered bolt in there. But now that I think about it the tapered one in there originally fell out so maybe it won't really matter. Not an integral piece of the steering anyway like a TRE.

Thanks mate

i would not use a regular bolt. the taper is there to help keep it tight. just go to a different auto parts store and look for a longer one. i have a few in my parts bin that have different length threads for just this reason. if you have an offroad supply store near you, they should carry them also. they are shock bolts for the most part.

i would not use a regular bolt. the taper is there to help keep it tight. just go to a different auto parts store and look for a longer one. i have a few in my parts bin that have different length threads for just this reason. if you have an offroad supply store near you, they should carry them also. they are shock bolts for the most part.

I took the washer out and was able to get enough threads that it'll be fine for now and until I can find something longer. Thanks guys.

Back