• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears

Depends on the use of the vehicle.

Will it be strictly off-road or will it see regular freeway driving?

If you hope to drive it on the freeways in CA, then yes 5.13's would bee to low w/33's.

I would recommend 4.56 w/33's for a driver. Based on gear calculator 4.10's would bring it back to stock for 33's, but 4.56's will give you a little extra go. Those that don't mind the really high rpm's go with the 4.88's.

not to mention 5.13's are not available for a D30, not even an option unless you swapped out to the D44 front.

I ran 5.13's with 32's for a short period of time after doing my D44 axle swap. 87 4.0, peugeot trans. It felt like I had it rapped out pretty hard just to do 60 on the highway, so I would say too low for 33's. I later swapped to 36's and the 5.13's were just right.

4.88's or 4.56's would be the sweet spot for you if you're running 33-35" tires.

I ran 5.13's with 32's for a short period of time after doing my D44 axle swap. 87 4.0, peugeot trans. It felt like I had it rapped out pretty hard just to do 60 on the highway, so I would say too low for 33's. I later swapped to 36's and the 5.13's were just right.

4.88's or 4.56's would be the sweet spot for you if you're running 33-35" tires.

^^ This +1 * I run 4.56 on 33's and it's just a shade lower than stock. With bumpers and sliders etc it seems just right. These charts are usually pretty close to the mark for street driven rigs.

2ahsfab.jpg

they are not too low, but you need a 44, 60, 9", something else up front to run 5.13s. you cant stuff em in a HP 30, i heard there were some for JK30s though? or maybe LP tj 30s at one point?

If I could I would do it in a heart beat. By the time you add all the weight to your rig (cage, 2x6, plate frame, bumpers, winch, fully belly, 37s, etc) you will wish you went as deep as you could have gone. youll be off those 33s and up to 35s before you know it, then 37s.

I would imagine the 5.13s with an auto and 33s would have tons of power, it would be nice. I had 33s for a long time with the 4.88s . Was way more power than the 35s. wish I had 5.13s or 5.38s....

im assuming you are building a 44 (waggy, ford, or TJ) or something like that to actually use 5.13s so your rig will be ready for 37s before you know it...

Are 5.13 gears too low with 33'' tires. I have a 1989 XJ with a auto tranny...
My XJ has 4.56 gears and two sets of tires, 31"s for DD use and 33"s for off-road trips .
31"s work fine for freeway use and have not dropped the mileage, compared to the previous 4.10s, and is now a lot more fun to drive.
5.13s and 33"s tires would run at similar RPMs.

Back