• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking Unit Bearings

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Wheels on with really forceful rocking in and out on the top of the tire (tire on the ground) I can feel just the slightest amount of play. With the tire in the air I can not generate enough force to feel the play, it takes a reinforced rocking of the chassis side to side to make it happen. New TRE's, good ball joints, new track bar bushings/bearing, good track bar bracket and braces (welded to a 3/16" plated unibody), new control arm ends, new steering box, CROK plate and intermediate steering shaft (chasing death wobble).

Is there ANY acceptable amount of play in a unit bearing?

John

Did you replace everything you listed including ball joints after you developed death wobble.

AFAIK there should be no play whatsoever in the unit bearings but I would think you would hear something while driving before the bearings deteriorated to the point that they would cause the wobble. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong about that.

I would look very carefully at the ball joints if they are not brand new.

Any sign of looseness or roughness in a unit bearing is unacceptable and grounds for replacement.
I had one blow out in my 4X4 Dakota, at 70MPH, that almost sent me off the side of the freeway. Worse death wobble imaginable.
It had check out fine just a few weeks before.

Did you replace everything you listed including ball joints after you developed death wobble.

AFAIK there should be no play whatsoever in the unit bearings but I would think you would hear something while driving before the bearings deteriorated to the point that they would cause the wobble. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong about that.

I would look very carefully at the ball joints if they are not brand new.

Everything listed was installed new after the DW started, except for the ball joints. I had 3 shops check them. I have done it half dozen times plus had a couple friends look at them. No movement at all in the ball joints that anyone can detect. I have had bad ball joints before and it was really visible when testing with a prybar, but no DW.

I guess a pair of unit bearings is the next step.

Thanks.

John

Back