• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Dana 44 Warn Hub Won't Turn

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to finish up my full width d44/60 build and bought some warn premium hubs. On the driver side when I tighten the allen screws in the final assembly it puts the hub in a bind and it will not turn to lock. I tried both hubs and they are both the same, so it has to be something with the brake hub or the axle shaft, but I can't figure out what the problem is. These are the stock shafts until my Yukons come in. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Also does it happen on both sides or one side? Check the length of the axle stubs sticking out from the spindle (measure). Some axles from diff. 44's are longer you may have diff. length stub (outer) axles in it (longer) causing the bind! Since I do not know which hubs you have that's all I can offer at this time.

They are the premiums as stated in the original post. It only happens on the driver side. Passenger side is fine. Stub shafts are same length although there does seem to be more axle shaft (maybe a 1/16") sticking out of the Warn hub insert on the driver side.

Any suggestions? Really need to get this thing together.

Stupid question, I'm sure but, did you try switching the hubs from side to side?

That'd tell you if it is in fact, the hub or something else causing the problem.

Hans

EDIT: Never mind, just reread your first post.....try it without installing the snap ring on the end of the stub shaft and see if that makes a difference?

Last edited:
Stupid question, I'm sure but, did you try switching the hubs from side to side?

That'd tell you if it is in fact, the hub or something else causing the problem.

Hans

EDIT: Never mind, just reread your first post.....try it without installing the snap ring on the end of the stub shaft and see if that makes a difference?

I will try without the snap ring and let you know. Thanks

They are the premiums as stated in the original post. It only happens on the driver side. Passenger side is fine. Stub shafts are same length although there does seem to be more axle shaft (maybe a 1/16") sticking out of the Warn hub insert on the driver side.

Sorry missed the Premium thingy.

I will try without the snap ring and let you know. Thanks

Don't know where your at on this but check your spindles too. I know it sucks but you are probably going to have to pull both Premium hubs & bearing hubs off to compare all lengths! One more thing. The axle takes a friction washer (wear washer) on the inside of the outer shaft check if you have one missing or have 2 instead of one if any?

Back