• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory spare tire carrier...

Bbasso

NAXJA Forum User
I might be getting a factory spare tire carrier from an earlier XJ, will it mount to my 1999?
I would have said what year it's coming from, but at this time I don't know. The lady who owns it is parting it out and will be getting back to me shortly.
I figure they are all the same?

thanks!

I have a spare tire carrier laying at my house...

It can be made to fit but it'll be a pain in the ass.

The carrier uses 3 mounting points.

One in the passenger side of the bumper. (Will have to modify your bumper for the mounting)

One in the center of the bumper. This is where the latch is. (You'll have to cut a big square hole in your bumper and mount the latch hardware behind the bumper.)

The third point is on the passenger rear quarter panel beside the top of the tail light.
You'll have to drill 4 holes in the quarter panel and install a backing plate on the inside of the Jeep.

The main thing is to remember to get ALL the pieces to it.

It'd be MUCH easier to install with the bumper that came with the other Jeep. I'm assuming it's not a late model so the bumper would be different.

If that one falls thru I have everything. It's for sale. ;)

Stock swing away kinda hates tires any bigger than 31's... You might want to think it over before you drill holes and waste ur time, you could make a hitch drop away one for under $50 if you have any kind of fabricating skills

Luckily I only have a 31x10.5-15 tire...
If I had the space and tools I could make something, but sadly don't.
thanks for the headsup.

Gotcha, well just be careful, my buddies went up to 33's and they ripped out of the bumper mounts, I'm not knocking ur choice just giving you a heads up, out here in CA were pretty rough on our jeeps,

on topic it's going to take time measuring etc to get it to mount right the first time at All 3 points.

thanks!
I'm trying to take it easy on her but with my (hopefully) upcoming trip things might get interesting :p

Out here there's only 2 places I can't take(shouldnt take) 31's... The rubicon and Johnson valley (KOH) Every trail I've attempted, I've made successfully on my 31's, I've even done a few black diamond trails, i like the idea that its more driver skill than it is bump it with a big tire and roll over it :) I'm going 33's next year but only because I am wanting to do the rubicon. :gee:

I put one on my 98 that was off of a 89. I was pretty worried that it was not gonna align just right. But it came out perfect. All you really need besides some basic tools is a dremmel or something similar to cut the hole for the latch in the middle and I used a piece of 1/4 in steel plate behind the upper quarter panel for extra strength and it has held together great for about three years now. I also just run 31s on mine.

Here's a pic
qu3yre8u.jpg

If I remember right. I think I did the passenger side bumper mount first. Then lined up the center of the bumper latch piece next and did the upper quartwr panel part last. I think I measured off of an old bumper where to align the first piece before I began. If you don't have acces to that Let me know and I'll try to get you a couple measurements off mine.

I like my 31's :)
1C3420AC-268C-407A-8F08-E9D5082DC919-20193-00001111828AFC25.jpg

Before my bumper or roof rack but same lift on 31's...
f08e81d9.jpg

Yes 31's are small everywhere, I think imma go with super swamper 33's next time around and just have it be a trailer queen :)

Iirc the carrier I might be getting is only mounted on the bumper... ?
Were there two kinds?

Thank everyone, I really appreciate the help and offers.

As for going to the Gulches, I'm worried! It would be my first time off-road except for beaches for fishing... I'm as green as my XJ lol.
I am heading towards TX for the Winter then up to Colorado in the Spring.

There was 2 kinds. I believe the one that I have was only used in 89 and the one your getting was used prior to that for a few years. I'm not sure if one is better than the other though. Where in Colorado are you heading in the spring? Lot of great wheeling to do around here.

Out here there's only 2 places I can't take(shouldnt take) 31's... The rubicon and Johnson valley (KOH) Every trail I've attempted, I've made successfully on my 31's, I've even done a few black diamond trails, i like the idea that its more driver skill than it is bump it with a big tire and roll over it :) I'm going 33's next year but only because I am wanting to do the rubicon. :gee:

Your not trying very hard.....The Cove needs to be added as well as Rock Run.
Yes the Rubicon was hard on my rig. Just a little to narrow in a few places and I fell between rocks tearing up a door and rear corners (not folded) but still plenty doable.

Jeepstickerpics003.jpg

Back