• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for some new mods $1k +/-

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
Hate to make a thread like this, but sometimes they are fun, and I could use some ideas.

I have been itching to add some new mods to my xj for a while, and have been having a hard time deciding where to invest my money.

Some info on the xj:

1997 Country w/factory skids & hitch, 231/aw4
3" lift - RC coils, OME LD leafs w/relocation brackets & .75" lift shackle.
245/75/16 MTR on Rubicon wheels.
D30 w/truetrac 4:10 & 8.8 w/Aussie locker
Diff skid, LCA skid
Ironman4x4 short arms
Sliders
Frame stiffeners
Custom front recovery points through stock bumper
Lebaron hood vents
JKS discos
RE braided brake lines
Optima yellow

I like to wheel different terrains, some rock crawling, scenic stuff, and would like to do more long distance expedition stuff. Never wheel alone, and frequently take the wife and kids. Jeep rides good and flexes good for short arms.

I'm considering:

High clearance winch bumper w/9k winch synthetic line
Teralow 4:1
Cage (prob internal only?)
Combo of smaller mods: steering, belly pan, extra battery, alloys, CAI/bored TB, interior mods?...

Would like to buy something that gets most use/value. I know a winch pays for itself when you use it, but it may get used once/twice a year? The cage; I hope I NEVER use it, but totally worth it.

Any other suggestions?

Rig pics for reference

3f0598ed.jpg

jeepflexside_zps58e1b500.jpg

sounds like you're pretty well equipped for your tire size. you should really step into the next bracket of tires. I'd do 33" meats and some trimming with long arms. 4:1 would be overkill. winch and bumpers are good options too. I've always had enough light on the trail with stock lights and a flash light but rock lights would be shweet. but most of all I wish I had a hybrid cage of some sort for when I flopped

LCA Drop brackets - will improve your ride and allow more of a lift later on - $120.

Bilstein 5100 shocks - $300

Cold air intake from Spectre - $100

Bored out throttle body from TheXJfiles - $80

Set of clean 703 injectors - $80

Magnaflow exhaust - $90

Mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust pipe - $50

The list is long....

the cage would stiffen the chassis and technically you would constantly use it. just saying

yet I would go for the winch and bumper

i would steer clear of the terralow 4:1 kit, those things are weak. a better option would be a np241or, which is a stock rubicon transfer case. it has 4:1 and is much more beefy. usually they're about 800-1200 bucks.

thanks for the replies, guys! all very good ideas.

winch is still at top of my list. especially if i do any expedition stuff. i sometimes get a little worried about banging my stock front bumper. it's perfect now, and so possibly can re-coup some cash if i sell complete w/fogs and custom recovery.

d&c cage is $450 and local to me, so that is something i can maybe work into the mods if i can find a good deal on winch bumper.

you guys are right about the teralow.. so scratch that idea.

LCA Drop brackets - will improve your ride and allow more of a lift later on - $120.

Bilstein 5100 shocks - $300

Cold air intake from Spectre - $100

Bored out throttle body from TheXJfiles - $80

Set of clean 703 injectors - $80

Magnaflow exhaust - $90

Mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust pipe - $50

The list is long....
looking into these today. any extra power i can gain will be welcome for the 4:10s and 33s. i'm not ready to step up to 33s, yet, but my plan is to move to these when my tires get worn, or even next year, and do some kind of longarm setup at the time. doing longarms sooner than 33s will be counter-productive for clearance. 3" is my max lift height tho. maybe a 1" spacer depending on how much the winch bumper and later on a rear bumper weigh it down.

yaromb, do you by any chance have a link to that spectre price? closest i found was $140 shipped. i did find xjfiles and sent him a pm. thanks.

I know a guy that makes some cool hybrid cages, some sweet supper high clearance winch bumpers, and will be selling some swee steering setup here soon...:D

I would go for a Tera2Low. It comes really in handy when wheeling with a locker up front. As you probably know, doing sharp turns with a locker up front in 4 Low is not easy. Pop it into 2 Low and your turns are much tigher.

Upgraded brakes.
WJ or Vanco fronts
ZJ rear discs

Nope, not really.

Yes you'll have bigger rotors and possibly dual calipers depending on which calipers you use.

Practical and beneficial for a rig on 31's? No, it really isn't.

Armor and Recovery should be #1 on your list since you are going to be a little closer to ground on 31's and a smaller lift.
what wj calipers have only one piston? there's two types, both have dual pistons, as far as i know.

Back