• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Coil Springs

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ 4.0 I6, AW4
I am trying to find new front coil (oem) 0" lift springs for my XJ. I went to Pepboys, Autozone, Napa and Jeep but none of them could get them. I found Omix Ada springs on line. Does anybody know where to get stock springs 0" lift. I'm in the New York area.

Also how often do the coil springs need replacing? How much do they sag over time? I have cupped tires and I've replaced shocks all round about 2 months ago but I'm still having some cupping problems.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The coil springs are probably NOT the problem. Check the rest of the steering/suspension components. Tie rod ends, Control arm bushings, Ball joints, Track bar mount/bushings, Steering box condition/mount, are all more suspect than your coil springs. Also how about your alignment, has it been checked?
I would get the front axle on jackstands, get under there, look around, check for loseness/wear on everything.

I have found that worn out shocks or steering components are much more often the culprit for cupped tires than coil springs.

How many miles on your Jeep?

I ruined a set of tires because of worn steering components.

Check ball joint, steering linkage, track bar.

Measure the suspension, if the stock coils are not sagged, they are fine. If you really think new coils will help, MOOG makes XJ coils. Try RockAuto.com

Last edited:
Jeep has 131,000 miles on it. I do have some play in the steering box, pitman arm and drag link. I was going to replace the steering box but I've heard the remanufactured units at most parts stores are not good. Can anyone recommend a good steering box replacement?

This may be anecdotal, but I replaced my factory steering box with an Autozone reman 60,000 miles ago and it's working fine. Lifetime warranty, so if it fails on you you can replace for free (less your time of course).
More important question is why would your steering box need to be replaced with only 131K on it?

I'm not really sure how long a steering box should last but before I bought the XJ it was used by IL State Parks so maybe it got a bit more abuse than a private XJ. I do seem to have quite a bit of play in the steering box and linkages.
Does anyone know the size of the socket for the pitman arm to steering gear box?

Back