• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goatfest, unofficial thread.

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
When: November 16th-18th 2012

Where: Means Dry lake bed, Johnson Valley
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mean...near=Landers,+San+Bernardino,+California&z=10
Exit Highway 247 at Boone Rd. and head north to the lakebed, look for cherokees, park.

What: A good time in the desert for any and all XJ's, MJ's, and similar buggies ;)

Trails to be run....always dependent on vehicles that show, but there is usally a scenic run, moderate run, difficult run, and a buggy only type run.

What to expect....

Unorganized trail runs starting around 8-9am Saturday morning.

Dry camping, pack it in, pack it out.

Possibility of sub freezing weather condition at night and daytime high up to 80 degrees.

Possible dinner Saturday night, probable campfire. Bring only wood without nails/staples/etc. NO PALLETS!!!

Vehicles should be ready for the trail, fire extinguishers, full size spare (or very close), first aid, spare parts, good attitudes.

This is the unofficial official thread and anything not on topic will be discarded and warnings may be issued. Cracker will be cracking the whip here at his discretion!

Thank you John. Sorry, with no smart phone, I'm limited to posting when I'm at a computer, with Internet =).

And thank you Cracker.

I do know some folks are bringing dirt bikes and quads, but make sure they have the appropriate registration, as rangers have been known to enforce such things out there.

Also be careful displaying glass bottles. I don't believe they're technically allowed on the lakebed. I tend to pour my beverage into a plastic reusable cup, and immediately put the bottle away in the trash.

going to try and make this one. currently have work scheduled, but working on getting rid of that.

need new tires...

I'm set to be able to make this. Plan on arriving on Friday, driving from the Pasadena area. Wouldn't mind pooling with other folks from the same area.

Planning on leaving JV sometime on Monday.

David Bricker / SYR

I have never been to jv either. Should we prepare for freezing night temps and high winds?

High winds, certainly. the camping area is very exposed. Temps in the low 30s are very possible as well. As with all desert, I plan for three seasons of weather.

David Bricker / SYR

I have never been to jv either. Should we prepare for freezing night temps and high winds?

Yes. The W word is always possible, be ready for it.

The past few years have been mild, about six or seven years ago there was snow. The coldest it's been when I've been there was 17 but you're a manly man, you can handle it, just cut a Tauntaun open and crawl on in.

prep for 30s at night and nice clear days. dusk can get dusty and windy, so tie down your tent or have a lot of heavy gear in it and have enough room to hide in the jeep if its gets too windy to be outside for an hour or so... the blowing sand HURTS when the wind jumps up over 20-30mph gusts but this is not the norm, it's only happened once during goatfest in the 5 years i've been going.

nothing that goes up in the air I would assume, because of risk of fire from falling embers.

I've seen em out there before, but I wouldn't bring them personally.

If they are NOT safe and sane they can not be used in CA.Plus you need to look up when they can be used in CA. Before and after the 4th of July.

Back