• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what axles should i run?

McJesse

NAXJA Forum User
Should i go full width axles (dana 44 and 60) a dana 44 and a ford 9in (bronco running gear) or wagoneer axles (dana 44s) i eventually want to either run 36 or 39.5 iroks someday on my Jeep and at the moment im sick of working on my dana 30 all the time lol. But running full widths im worried about tight trails that ill probably encounter like going to browns camp and stuff like that isn't it going to be harder or is it really not that bad? I don't really know what do you guys think?

There's a zillion threads on this topic, search. This isn't like another forum for Cherokees where everyone will say "Yea axles bro cool." with 40s you want tons.

Spend some time doin lots of research, d44's for the 36's d60's for the 39's

If your worried about width you can run h1 rims to pull the tires in on the full width axles. To 1 ton off the bat, I went hp44 in the front and snapped a shaft on the 3rd trip out on 35's. $700 later I have chromoly shafts and an axle that's still weaker than a stock 60.

If your worried about width you can run h1 rims to pull the tires in on the full width axles. To 1 ton off the bat, I went hp44 in the front and snapped a shaft on the 3rd trip out on 35's. $700 later I have chromoly shafts and an axle that's still weaker than a stock 60.
:wstupid:

Ok so im guessing everyone so far is saying full width thanks robz95xj I'll probably go 36 ay first cuz im still a little iffy on 39.5s. Im obviously guessing someone on here has full widths and the most part im worried about is not being able to go on trails cuz im to wide.

i narrowed mine, but i went wider than stock. i'm at 76.5" overall. i find that there is some compromise, but there is also some benefit. not sure i'd want to be any wider.

i find that the wider axle allows me to turn my wheels more without hitting control arms, inner fenders, etc., so i tend to have a tighter turning radius than most, this sort of makes up for any extra width on tight trails.

Ok so im guessing everyone so far is saying full width thanks robz95xj I'll probably go 36 ay first cuz im still a little iffy on 39.5s. Im obviously guessing someone on here has full widths and the most part im worried about is not being able to go on trails cuz im to wide.

Trails are as wide as the vehickes that travel on them.
Jeep/truck trails are the width of jeeps & trucks.
ATV trails are the width of ATVs. I can't believe I just had to explain this....

AND... Tire sizes do not jump from 36" to 39.5".

There are: 37s, 38s, 38.5s & 39s all in between 36 & 39.5 sizes. Do your homework.
This is a dumb thread.

Last edited:
i narrowed mine, but i went wider than stock. i'm at 76.5" overall. i find that there is some compromise, but there is also some benefit. not sure i'd want to be any wider.

i find that the wider axle allows me to turn my wheels more without hitting control arms, inner fenders, etc., so i tend to have a tighter turning radius than most, this sort of makes up for any extra width on tight trails.

Thanks

Trails are as wide as the vehickes that travel on them.
Jeep/truck trails are the width of jeeps & trucks.
ATV trails are the width of ATVs. I can't believe I just had to explain this....

AND... Tire sizes do not jump from 36" to 39.5".

There are: 37s, 38s, 38.5s & 39s all in between 36 & 39.5 sizes. Do your homework.
This is a dumb thread.

I made this thread for my info if you think this is a dumb thread you didnt have to read it or even post in here

Why is everyone so concerned about axle width? There are these things called wheels, and they come in different offsets. I'm not much wider on full widths than someone with stock axles and wheels with 3" BS

Why is everyone so concerned about axle width? There are these things called wheels, and they come in different offsets. I'm not much wider on full widths than someone with stock axles and wheels with 3" BS
what's your width? you run H2 wheels, right?

Back