• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSD 6AL- Any one use one on their Jeep?

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
I have used the MSD in the past and am now thinking of using one on the jeep. Does anyone have any experience in using a MSD 6AL on the 4.0L?

I was thinking of this one, I don't need rev limiter or other features.
MSD #6201 Digital 6A Ignition Control

Used a MSD-6A in my '98 for over 10 years and removed it this past winter when I was troubleshooting a NO START problem.
The NO START problem ended up being a bad CPS and a shorted 12V wire to the coil.
I returned the ignition back to stock, but continued using the MSD Blaster coil, MSD 8.5 mm Super Conductor wires, DEI ignition cap and rotor.
The MSD-6A instructions recommend NOT using platinum sparkplugs and increasing the spark gap to >.045.
Really haven't noticed much change since removing the MSD-6A.

Last edited:
The guy at Kyle's Jeep seemed to think it is a good add, but I have yet to do it myself.

I just stuck the drop in super coil on with better cap/rotor/wires/plugs and satisfied.

Finally installed the MSD #6201 Digital 6A Ignition Control Unit. Used the chrysler adapter harness. Easy enough, plug and play. Started right up. Seemed to start easier, definitely idles smoother, much smoother off idle and accelerating. Will watch more over the next couple weeks and check the gas mileage.
Using the iridium spark plugs and 0.032-0.035" gap, haven't open the gap yet.

IDK what the Renix coil connections look like.

Back