• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 jeep Cherokee, 4 banger ?????

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have been approached to buy a 1984, 2 door, 4x4, Jeep Cherokee (Pioneer?), 4 banger, 5 speed manual tranny in rust free condition, been parked in a garage since 2008. Last major repair was reported to be a complete rebuild of the 5 speed by a 4x4 jeep operation near Conroe Tx.

Any ideas here as to who made the engine and transmissions in that year? Which engine, transmission and transfer cases were used that year?

I assume it is a carburetor gas engine?

i have a 85 4 banger, carbed of course. 2.5l amc motor with ax5 trans and np207 tcase. i know it could also have a np228? tcase and possibly a t5 trans (i heard that somewhere once).

So did AMC make the 2.5 litter, 4 banger before they made the 4.0 engine? Or is the 1987 4 banger a newer engine?

yes, amc made the 2.5. these years xj's also could have a 2.8l V6 made by GM or a 2.1 renault turbo diesel overseas. the 2.5's are an AMC designed motor, the 4.0l didnt come out till 86 or 87 but it had a renix fuel injection system.

I will check the jeep factory parts catalog when I get home.

I want to say it will be an ax5 and np207 but am not sure. check the axle gears, you likely are looking at 4.10s and I heard of an 84-86 4cyl/5sp that had 4.56s factory at one point.

Mine was a 2.5L w/NP207 and an AX4

84-86 catalog says that these transmissions were available in the XJ:

(no mention of engine or 2WD/4WD status here - assuming 4cyl 4wd)
84-85 T4, with system sentry 5300 2269
84 T4, with system sentry 5300 1547
85 T4, without system sentry 5300 1548
84 T5, without system sentry 5300 1551
84 T5, without system sentry 5300 1552
84-85 T5, with system sentry 5300 2270

84 AX4, with system sentry 5300 1565
85 AX4, with system sentry 5300 2264
85-86 2WD AX4, with system sentry 5300 1670
86 2WD AX4, 5300 4250
86 4WD AX4, 5300 4249
86 4WD AX4, 5300 2264

84 AX5, with system sentry 5300 1566
85-86 AX5, (2.5/I4 or 2.8/V6) 2WD, with system sentry 5300 1671
86 AX5, (2.5/I4 or 2.8/V6) 2WD 5300 3386
85-86 AX5, (2.5/I4 or 2.8/V6) 4WD, with system sentry 5300 2265
86 AX5, (2.5/I4) 4WD 5300 3385
85 AX5, (2.1TD) 4WD, with system sentry 5300 1190
86 AX5, (2.1TD) 2WD 5300 3388
86 AX5, (2.1TD) 4WD 5300 3387

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

I don't think they had NEARLY enough random usage of transmissions nor options in those years! I think they probably could have had another 4-5 part numbers for the same year range and engine options transmissions without possibly causing ANY confusion!

We got a good look at the jeep this week.

It was last driven about 2 years ago. Stickers are expired. Battery is dead. Body is in great shape, amazing shape. One rust spot in the rear roof area. One tire busted (big hole), flat. Small leak from the steering gear bottom shaft, radiator was empty, will need some cleaning maybe a rod out of the core, but may be reusable. Serp belt is too old, stress cracks, needs to go. The clutch is bad.

So some dollars need to be invested up front just to test the engine, transmission, transfer case, fuel pump, brakes, clutch.....etc.

It is a 4 cylinder, about 146,000 miles on the ODO, the dash gauge assy needs to be replaced, or the front clear plastic piece replaced (i looks like it was hit with solvent, turned it opaque white), has a ton vacuum emissions stuff on it, but it is exempt from sniffer tests now, over 25 years old. The interior is in fantastic shape!!!!! Very well kept, and it is, probably was stored in a garage most of its life. NO signs of rust, except the one small one on the roof.

We are going to make an offer on it, but wondering what you guys think it is worth?

I'll give you some input. Based in my recent frustrations with my XJ (that you are aware of) I have been scouring Craigslist (So Cal) for the few weeks for possible replacements.

- seemingly clean late model 4.0/4x4 offerings, I would consider reliable daily drivers are listed by owner AND dealers rarely above $6k. These I would expect to be end user older used cars/buy and drive (actually a pretty good choice for that use other than MPG)

There are PLENTY of seemingly good buys early and late model that have "some issues" that may not be a big deal to someone familiar with XJ's but could scare a typical used car buyer. These tend to range in the $1k - $3k offerings

Then you have what most typical used car buyers might consider a beater, but someone familiar witH XJ's might view as a diamond in the ruff. These are commonly available at $1,500 and way below. (Sounds like the one you are looking at fits about in this category, but see below)

I bought my 1988 five years ago for $650. Aside from my desired upgrades and my recent issues, it really never really needed anything serious.

One thing of common value is the 4.0 engine and 4WD. 2WD models seem to take a big hit in resale. When looking at wranglers, the 4 cyl engines seem to take a huge hit in resale as well.

Obviously one of the biggest value points with the XJ,s beyond the classic platform is the 4.0, 4wd and solid Tranny/t-case inclusions. There are millions of 4.0/4wd/231 jeeps out there and the aftermarket options are crazy.

I have seen listings for early model (1988-1990) 4.0/4wd XJ's in the $1,500-$3,000 range. These are listed as buy and drives in various condition NOT "needs repair".

The one you are looking at has a clean body/interior (a big plus) but has a unique and much less desirable engine/tranny combo. (Based only on my review of listings). While this might be of interest to a die hard XJ enthusiast, from what I gather there is no added value for these unique attributes. If you are specifically looking for an early model 4 cyl. XJ then you are a unique buyer.

For the rest of the market, the seller should be aware of he fact they have a very undesirable model on their hands that does not posses the desire able attributes of the typical early model XJ.

All that being said, given the likely work needed, the engine selection and the model year I don't see this particular XJ being worth more than a few hundred bucks. Certainly NOT approaching $1k

Bottom line is your getting a clean interior and exterior and to realize any significant value, your probably looking at major/difficult repairs or a 4.0 swap.

If your into older, unique XJ variants, go for it. If your looking for the best value in an early mode XJ, search around you will find plenty of late 80's/early 90's 4.0 4wd in good condition in the $2k -$5k range. And some really clean later model XJ's in the $3k to $6k range.

To answer your question, I would figure an offer in the $500 range. If you love it and know you can get it running, maybe go $800-$1k. After that it becomes a personal "I want it" decision.

Last edited:
Well I already have five, 1985 to 1989 XJ's. My friend is interested in this one, not me. He wants a DD jeep and to save some gas, but have an XJ toy as well. He already has a huge 4x4 Chevy truck....

I am under the impression it is nearly impossible to stick the 4.0 in the 4 banger version, not enough room for the drive train IIRC.

This one is too much work for me, and I don't like 2 door, carb fueled rigs. I would be interested if it was a running 4.0, fuel injected Renix or early HO, 4 door. I am just trying decide what the reasonable market value is for my friend and the seller.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll give you some input. Based in my recent frustrations with my XJ (that you are aware of) I have been scouring Craigslist (So Cal) for the few weeks for possible replacements.

- seemingly clean late model 4.0/4x4 offerings, I would consider reliable daily drivers are listed by owner AND dealers rarely above $6k. These I would expect to be end user older used cars/buy and drive (actually a pretty good choice for that use other than MPG)

There are PLENTY of seemingly good buys early and late model that have "some issues" that may not be a big deal to someone familiar with XJ's but could scare a typical used car buyer. These tend to range in the $1k - $3k offerings

Then you have what most typical used car buyers might consider a beater, but someone familiar witH XJ's might view as a diamond in the ruff. These are commonly available at $1,500 and way below. (Sounds like the one you are looking at fits about in this category, but see below)

I bought my 1988 five years ago for $650. Aside from my desired upgrades and my recent issues, it really never really needed anything serious.

One thing of common value is the 4.0 engine and 4WD. 2WD models seem to take a big hit in resale. When looking at wranglers, the 4 cyl engines seem to take a huge hit in resale as well.

Obviously one of the biggest value points with the XJ,s beyond the classic platform is the 4.0, 4wd and solid Tranny/t-case inclusions. There are millions of 4.0/4wd/231 jeeps out there and the aftermarket options are crazy.

I have seen listings for early model (1988-1990) 4.0/4wd XJ's in the $1,500-$3,000 range. These are listed as buy and drives in various condition NOT "needs repair".

The one you are looking at has a clean body/interior (a big plus) but has a unique and much less desirable engine/tranny combo. (Based only on my review of listings). While this might be of interest to a die hard XJ enthusiast, from what I gather there is no added value for these unique attributes. If you are specifically looking for an early model 4 cyl. XJ then you are a unique buyer.

For the rest of the market, the seller should be aware of he fact they have a very undesirable model on their hands that does not posses the desire able attributes of the typical early model XJ.

All that being said, given the likely work needed, the engine selection and the model year I don't see this particular XJ being worth more than a few hundred bucks. Certainly NOT approaching $1k

Bottom line is your getting a clean interior and exterior and to realize any significant value, your probably looking at major/difficult repairs or a 4.0 swap.

If your into older, unique XJ variants, go for it. If your looking for the best value in an early mode XJ, search around you will find plenty of late 80's/early 90's 4.0 4wd in good condition in the $2k -$5k range. And some really clean later model XJ's in the $3k to $6k range.

To answer your question, I would figure an offer in the $500 range. If you love it and know you can get it running, maybe go $800-$1k. After that it becomes a personal "I want it" decision.

You can fit a 4.0 into an 86-down unibody, but it does require some firewall customization and radiator support mods from what I've heard. There are plenty of 87 and up models around with bolt-in 4.0 availability, so I wouldn't bother... the 86-down would be something I'd consider putting a small diesel or a V8 in way before I'd put a 4.0 in one. Fortunately I don't have to even think about this, as they all rusted out and got crushed 10 or more years ago up here :(

if he wants to actually wheel it , he will pissed that you talked him into paying more than 400$ for that thing when he finds out multi port injected 4.0s with the AW4 are 1000$ +- all day long on craigslist since he currently is not a jeep guy and might not know they are that cheap.

If he just wants a stocker camping/around town rig that gets good MPG then he will probably love this thing.

if he wants to actually wheel it , he will pissed that you talked him into paying more than 400$ for that thing when he finds out multi port injected 4.0s with the AW4 are 1000$ +- all day long on craigslist since he currently is not a jeep guy and might not know they are that cheap.

If he just wants a stocker camping/around town rig that gets good MPG then he will probably love this thing.

The 2.5 L gets far better gas mileage than the 4.0 in city driving, DD....

He already has a ZJ, 1994, 4.0 and he and I already replaced the engine on it in 2007-08 and stripped the 1992 donor fender-bender XJ. I am not talking him into anything. He is dying to get it. He knows all about Renix jeeps, I taught him, helping me with the heavy lifting the last 4 years, keeping up with antiques, as I am getting too old for this heavy lifting, hard work,!!!1 LOL.

He was with me last month when I bought my latest 1987 XJ, for only $500, that just needed a new brake MC to put it back on the road (and a new battery).party1:

Typo correction, should read:

I would be interested if it was a running 2.5 l, fuel injected Renix or early HO, 4 door.

Well I already have five, 1985 to 1989 XJ's. My friend is interested in this one, not me. He wants a DD jeep and to save some gas, but have an XJ toy as well. He already has a huge 4x4 Chevy truck....

I am under the impression it is nearly impossible to stick the 4.0 in the 4 banger version, not enough room for the drive train IIRC.

This one is too much work for me, and I don't like 2 door, carb fueled rigs. I would be interested if it was a running 4.0, fuel injected Renix or early HO, 4 door. I am just trying decide what the reasonable market value is for my friend and the seller.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back