• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any one divorced?

Oxen__

NAXJA Forum User
I got my hands on a divorced dana model 24. Any ideas for a cross member? Or can some if you guys show me yours if your running a divorced t case?

Im still searching a bit but finding info mainly on the old fords this case is out of.

My thought is too just make a new cross member that has the same mounting points and figure a good way to mount it. Probly need to plate the uni body rails and weld in recessed flange nuts.

Just one more shaft to fail

Yes at some point. Every thing fails. for trails and snow shouldnt be too bad. The failure would likly be a worn u joint. But how major is that compaired to a busted doubler in-put shaft on the trail? For me a u joint and im up and running again. Pro con to each set up.

Have a buddy running a divorcced setup on a samurai.
appatently the shaft can freeze up and make the trans hop up and down going down the road

Have a buddy running a divorcced setup on a samurai.
appatently the shaft can freeze up and make the trans hop up and down going down the road

It's stock Sami equipment, nothing special. Never heard of that symptom, perhaps something "Special" about his rig. On boxes that have been converted to a higher ratio, one generally needs to beef up the stock mounts and get rid of the OEM "biscuits" that mount the Cast to the mounts and go with poly bushings.

Regardless...

What he wants to know is if anyone is running one on their Cherokee.

Personally I don't know of any who do. To use as a primary box, you'd need to convert to a 2WD tranny, mount the box, then run 3 driveshafts.
To use as additional reduction to the stock 231, you would need to do everything OXEN descibed, and still end up with more driveshafts than you would want. AND a lot of work. You may even run into issues with driveline alignment side to side.

Much easier to convert the stock XFer Case to a doubler or buy a 4low kit.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking, something is wonky with his bud's Sami.

As an ex-Modified Sami owner I can almost guarantee that.

I figure i got the case and all three drive lines for 50 bucks. I have the steel i need on hand to make a mount. So $100 or so dollars and im doubled. Not breaking the bank if i gotta take it out and save towards a 300 and doubler kit. Found write ups for twin sticks on this. Dunno if i need that but it can do that.

So i figure ill make a cross member and size it up to fit under my jeep. Looks like thats how the doublers get supported as well. Ill just mock some thin up.

My other Jeep is a '68 M715. It's a whole different animal than a Cherokee, but it does run an NP200 divorced transfer case. Divorced transfers are pretty common in the older heavy duty trucks, and I don't see a major problem running one. Hell, I've thought of doing a doubler in the Kaiser since it would be so easy.
Anyway, I have seen some super-short intermediate shafts and I'm guessing you'll need one to keep your rear DS angles from getting too steep. The shortest one I saw was for an engine/ tranny conversion that was longer than stock. The guy basically just put two yokes back-to-back with no shaft in the middle. If you're good, you could get away with a single joint in the middle, but I wouldn't try since the shafts would have to be almost perfectly aligned (coplanar in at least one direction). Maybe you could sneak a double cardan in there from a front DS or something similar with a yoke on each end? Still a pretty long combo.
Can you compare it to lengths for doubler setups, and make sure the rear shaft will handle it? As for a cross member, something similar to what the guys making 4-link rears use should be adequate... Pretty straight forward with some box tubing, a bit of plate and some bolts.

m715driveyokeinstalledtv2.jpg

www.M715zone.com

I figure i got the case and all three drive lines for 50 bucks. I have the steel i need on hand to make a mount. So $100 or so dollars and im doubled. Not breaking the bank if i gotta take it out and save towards a 300 and doubler kit. Found write ups for twin sticks on this. Dunno if i need that but it can do that.

So i figure ill make a cross member and size it up to fit under my jeep. Looks like thats how the doublers get supported as well. Ill just mock some thin up.

If you got more time than money and want a good project, that sounds like a plan.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

I have a divorced model 24 on my '62 F100.

It is not a great case. Walk away and find yourself a New Process 205.

Thanks for the pics

that i had the idea od using a double cardan joint to keep it short and have some allowance on the alignment.

Im stretching my rig 10-12 inches so i am hoping that will help and give me some room underneath to make the drive lines work ok. Also got some toyota leaf springs that are 5.5ft long. To use in the rear. And looking to pick up a dodge dana 60 on monday. I should be doin alot of work over the up comming weekends. I dont want to miss the first big snow.

Mine is stretched about 5" and i like it where it is. The scary part is he is also using 65" leaf springs, they will stick past the rear bumper about 10".

Seems like to me a longer wheel base handels better in snow. To a certain extent. But im goin on 39s . 800 more bucks and there paid for. Figure a stretch would help make some room in the rear fenders. May also mive the front axle forward two inches. Also move the batery and relays and tub the front fenders. So i can keep the lift to a minimum. An keep a little up travel.

Once i get this BMW done and back to its owner i can do my jeep. Should be finnished by the weekend. And ill have my tire money.

I may not use the long leafs. I do have some shorter ones from a chev.

I don't see the value of using an oddball transfer case that has a 1.86:1 low range.

Here is some basic data on the case I found:

Dana 24 - 'divorced' part-time 2-speed (hi-lo), used on '59-'72 F250-F350s 4x4s and were also pretty common in the '59-'66 F100s. They were also used in 6-cylinder '73-'75 F100/F150 trucks. Cast iron, gear drive, 1.86:1 low ratio. It's a tough case but lacks a low range, and parts are getting hard to find for this.

Back