• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spicer 760x on a d30

Rusty98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, first time poster here. Anyway, I tried replacing my old U joints with some spicer 760x's yesterday. Rented a ball joint press and everything. When I went to press them in they would not fit ( one of the needle bearings fell into cap and destroyed itself)

I went to NAPA for some precision joints as a temporary fix. I went to press them in, and they wouldnt press in straight for anything. I think I bent my yoke ears a little bit? Also it left a nice lip on the inside of the yoke. What do I do?

photo7.jpg
[/IMG]

Take a round or 1/2 round file and carefully file the lip off. Be careful to not file on the undamaged part as you just significantly reduced the surface area that holds the u-joint cap. If the cap fits loose or becomes lose in the future you'll need to replace that section of the axle shaft

only if you have really bad luck... i've always used a hammer and a socket to do my universal joints. (NOT RECOMMENDED) but knock on wood I havent messed one up yet

The most important first step is to ensure the cap goes in straight ... I usually do this by hand with a small hammer just to get it started right, then I use my Ball joint press to finish. Aslo once installed tap the base of the ear with a hammer until the ujoint moves freely

Hammer and socket IS recommended, if you do it right. Don't use a press, it's a great way to bend axleshaft ears and put caps in sideways.

The "thor" method:

I did this a week or two ago on one of my spare axleshafts as I'd been running on a stub shaft and a hub after breaking one. Realized I had put the ujoint into my long side spare when I needed a short side :dunce: so I knocked it back out of the inner shaft carefully and put it into a short side. Still took only about 20min and went in perfectly, it's super easy.

Instead of using my little finger and a bucket of grease like he does I usually grab the grease gun and just fill the cap halfway with grease. I've never had a needle bearing fall under the trunnion.

edit: I'm not sure I'd reuse that shaft even after filing the ridge down - if you do, I suggest tack welding the caps in place (after tapping the yokes a few times to make sure the ujoint is seated correctly and spins freely) and/or keeping it as a trail spare.

Last edited:
This is the kind of press I'm using, been using it for the last 10yrs.

getfile.php

As with anything, if used improperly, carnage will ensue.

I bet you could bend them back with a press somehow, but if they are bent more than a few hundredths of an inch you are risking a failure while assembling the axleshaft or driving, those ears are already the failure point and bending/fatiguing them doesn't improve matters. Better to buy a junkyard inner/outer for 20 bucks and put a ujoint in without screwing it up.

I bent the first one I ever did, bent it back a little, got the joint in, and the first time I got some wheelhop offroad with it, it popped so fast I had no time to let off the throttle and separated my balljoints. Not fun.

Back