• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse light issue

Reverend Jim

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ, 4.0L. AX15, 4WD.
I have a short in the reverse light circuit. I got a check engine light that threw 3 codes,(P1491,P0545, & P0443). All linked to fuse #10, which my owner's manual says is blank. Blown 15a fuse. Replaced it and reset the check engine light. All good until I put it in reverse, fuse blows again. Codes reappear. Now for some detective work... 12VDC to the switch on the trans is good. Leave switch disconnected and shift into reverse... fuse # 10 holds. Connect switch, fuse blows. OK, short is on the output side. I traced the output wire from the switch up through the engine compartment, along the firewall, and down into the cabin to what looks like a junction block at the kick panel on the driver's side. Tested good with ohm meter, no short up to this point. I can't tell where it goes from there. Does anyone know the path that this wire takes from this junction block? I have the factory service manual but it's pretty vague. Any help would be appreciated.

I do have a hitch, and the wiring for that is the simple flat-4 plug and play. It doesn't have the reverse circuit in it. I have the reverse, (br/lg), wire going to the tail light sockets traced back to the front kick panel where the junction block is. It's very tight under there, just having trouble trying to find out if the wire is spliced anywhere under the dash, or does it go straight to the rear of the vehicle? Thanks for your help Sideways.

Back