• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommend me a place for headliner material

Bbasso

NAXJA Forum User
I need to redo my headliner but not sure where to get the material from. Can you recommend a place that has plain black vinyl with the foam on the back side?

thank you

Why get the foam? Would probably be more durable to just glue fabric straight to the headliner. The foam is why the stock stuff fails in the first place.

Timely question. I am doing mine this weekend and I got advise from a guy in our chapter that does these for a living.

I need to redo my headliner but not sure where to get the material from. Can you recommend a place that has plain black vinyl with the foam on the back side?

thank you

I was going to go with vinyl also, but he suggested I not because the material would be too heavy to keep a strong bond for long.

Why get the foam? Would probably be more durable to just glue fabric straight to the headliner. The foam is why the stock stuff fails in the first place.
I asked the same question, if I need the stuff with the foam and he said yes. I didn't ask why, but I would assume that the glue would soak through the fabric without the foam.

I think Joanne fabrics carries headliner material?
They do. I checked last night. The JoAnn's near me sells it for $14.99 a yard. My 2001 XJ will need 2.5 yards to cover and have the necessary overhang for trimming. I was going to purchase 2 cans of Loctite Heavy Bond spray adhesive for $13 each. Total cost before taxes was going to be about $65. If you look in the Sunday paper, Joann's always has a coupon flier. Last Sunday I picked up 2 coupons, a 40% off one item or 20% off the entire order...which would bring my pre-tax costs to about $48.

Timely question. I am doing mine this weekend and I got advise from a guy in our chapter that does these for a living.

I was going to go with vinyl also, but he suggested I not because the material would be too heavy to keep a strong bond for long.

I asked the same question, if I need the stuff with the foam and he said yes. I didn't ask why, but I would assume that the glue would soak through the fabric without the foam.

They do. I checked last night. The JoAnn's near me sells it for $14.99 a yard. My 2001 XJ will need 2.5 yards to cover and have the necessary overhang for trimming. I was going to purchase 2 cans of Loctite Heavy Bond spray adhesive for $13 each. Total cost before taxes was going to be about $65. If you look in the Sunday paper, Joann's always has a coupon flier. Last Sunday I picked up 2 coupons, a 40% off one item or 20% off the entire order...which would bring my pre-tax costs to about $48.

I did not use the foam with mine. To me its just a matter of time until the foam deteriorates and the headliner sags again. It took me about 30 minutes in Joannes to choose exactly which fabric I thought would be light enough to stay up, but thick enough for the adhesive not to soak through (it worked!).

I used 3M 77 spray adhesive. I bought 4 cans, but did an overhead console, speaker bar, and sun visors along with the headliner. I only ended up using one can on the backer.

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244844797&postcount=35

lowes? LOL thats what i did

418849_10150552045717957_1579955271_n.jpg

umm well i bought a 4x8 sheet of wood paneling, ripped my old headliner out traced the holes over to the paneling and cut about 2 feet off of it.

But it probably wont work for people without overhead consoles because i screwed it to the roof braces in that area

seems like a pretty cheap alternative to headliners. umm, can you give a close up of the screws? and just point out where everything is mounted? and maybe the cons to this? i really im interested.

the cons are, if you have driveline vibes it rattles, you can see the only screw thats visible. Its in the far left of the picture in the very center (approximately 4 inches behind the rear seat in the center) The second major con is, it hangs lower than the stock headliner and if you are freakishly tall it would be annoying. Im only 5 9" and i love it. THe third con is, i never figured out how the rear seatbelt straps would attach to the ceiling and ended up cutting them off.

Underneath the center console there are three more screws.

But yes it is cost effective and if you are into the woody look its fine. Everyone thats ever noticed it in my jeep has loved it.

Last edited:
I got a black microfiber looking fabric from the fabric store it had a white cloth backing that I think helped the glue not bleed through. No foam (didnt like the color options).

you can draw on it with tour finger and it looks good. Had the visors wrapped with it as well. There's more info on that in my build thread in the MWC

google outkastboss naxja build thread. (id add a link but I'm on my cell)

McMaster Carr Part #8614K83 - Adhesive-Backed Polyurethane Foam 1/2" Thick, 54" Wide Sheeting

This is what I used on mine. Love it. Been on since '08. I wish I would have trimmed the front and rear edges a bit better, they are uneven and somewhat rough. And I should have used a roller as a few section around the roof braces didn't stick exactly to the metal but overall it's been great.

i got the joanne's headliner material. i used 3m spray, and it sagged within days. i screwed up by not cleaning the backing board well. i'd suggest scraping all the old foam off, not just pulling the fabric off and gluing it. i'll be redoing it shortly.
the material from joanne's is nice though.

when doing a headliner I would get your material from joanne fabrics, get 2 saw horse lay the headliner on there, carefully peale the old headliner off (if it's still connected), use a wire brush and clean the foam off the headliner mat( make sure it's as clean as possible) Get some 3m contact cement and brush a coat on the headliner and the mat let it get tacky then lay it on and smooth it out with your hand very carefully, let it cure and done!

Having done this in the past i will offer three suggestions:
1. Don't use anything foam-backed
2. Clean ALL of the old foam off, even the little stuff
3. Make sure the new fabric is synthetic (cotton, linen, etc. will respond to high heat)

Back