• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil flow restriction from filter and overheating?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep used to run pretty cool. has a newer radiator and water pump, zj fan clutch, hood vents, new radiator cap, etc.
my temp gage stopped working a little while ago, and i decided to finally fix it (ended up only being a loose wire).
low and behold, it's running a bit on the hot side (typically 210-220). before i fixed the gage, i got the oil changed at pepboys (i had a coupon, and they were rebalancing my tires since i got them there, so i figured why not). a little while after, i noticed my filter was pretty small compared to the old one. now i'm noticing my oil pressure is pretty high when driving around in higher rpm's. the motor has 221k on it, so the pressure is typically low at idle, like 20-30psi when hot. when i rev it up a little now, it jumps up to 60psi and takes a a bit to drop back down to 20psi. this seems to be a little uncharacteristic. it always jumps in the higher rpm's, but i think it tyically maxed out at like 40psi. is there a chance that the smaller oil filter is restricting too much flow, causing the psi to go high, and maybe having some relation to my warm running engine? easy enough to change the filter, but i figured i'd ask.

boneheads put a filter for a 4cyl on it. i just called, they confirmed. if my motor croaks soon, i'm going to have a few words with them...

Back