• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Classic Bumper cover removal...

Mudboy

NAXJA Forum User
I'mm looking to remove the front bumper cover on my 98 Cherokee Classic to install some tow hooks for an upcoming trip this weekend. I've been searching for teh past hour and have yet to find anything other than ZJ and pre 97 xj bumper removal. I was wondering if anyone here could help be out. I'm not trying to butcher it so i figured i'd ask

I did this recently on my 99 Classic, No need to completely take off the bumper. Just do one side at a time but get all the bolts loose so it can move as needed.
Which tow hooks did you get? Got a pic?
I installed factory ones... very easy, just took a little time.

Remove 2 (#3) bolts to the bumper and 2 (#5) screws to the fender. Slide the bumper end cap over slightly, and it comes off.

standard.jpg

Are you talking end caps or the front bumper skin?

End caps are just a few screws and bolts, the hardest of which is the top one which is inside the cap. If not careful, you will spin the retainer.

To remove the skin it is only 3 bolts each side that attach it to the frame. They don't use nuts, rather a nut-retainer and it usually spins. I have always just used a chisel and spread it to remove them. They are a SoB to get to, but you can also cut them off with a dremel with an angle attachment.

Back