• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj body armor

corvette9210

NAXJA Forum User
ok has anyone done full body armor i have seen it with the front/rear fenders but i want a picture of it on the doors any one got anything thanks :looney:piratefla:

theres not really any companys that make door armor. Atleast anymore. Theres a company here in denver that makes front and rear steel tube fenders and there sweet!!!

ok has anyone done full body armor i have seen it with the front/rear fenders but i want a picture of it on the doors any one got anything thanks :looney:piratefla:

Well typically rock sliders and maybe an exo cage keeps people off their doors. Once it is inevitable that the doors need extra protection, most opt for either no doors or tube doors. Armoring them up may be more weight than the benefit is worth. But to each their own - I have not seen anything beyond the sliders or cage for door protection.

My body is getting beat to hell I plan on doing full armor up to the upper crease. fenders and rear 1/4 panels in 3/16ths . Doors in 1/8 . My armor will not be for the dress up crowd .I going for an industrial almost military look with welded creaes and welded carriage bolts . 2x1 Box steel flares welded directlyto the body armor. Something that BA would have built ala the A-team. minus gun turrets and window armor. The goal is to cover up all the previous body damage and prevent further damage . My hope is to be able to brush rocks walls and squeezes with out the typical tin can carnage. Like the idea of scraping the entire side of the jeep against a huge boulder without the wife freaking out when I come home. Just got to sell the idea of our Jeep looking like a prop from a Mad Max movie first. Im just going to do it like every other modification . Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Well typically rock sliders and maybe an exo cage keeps people off their doors. Once it is inevitable that the doors need extra protection, most opt for either no doors or tube doors. Armoring them up may be more weight than the benefit is worth. But to each their own - I have not seen anything beyond the sliders or cage for door protection.
The weight issue does concern me on the doors , I am too fond AC to get rid of them. also we have some deep water crossings where I loke to wheel No doors would turn my heap into a bathtub quick 1/8" is too heavy perhaps I could beef the hinges? or should i go with a thinner steel on just the doors . I also will be adding some extensions to my sliders . But my doors are alredy Fubar so the armor will be acting somewhat as bandage. Replace doors to me is expensive and futile if i continue to wheel hard in difficult terrain.
I am not ready for a cage yet but I am sure that day will come sooner or later. .

what about aluminum...it would be a little more $$, but you wouldnt be carting around as much weight.

edit..oh, I just noticed you wanted it welded lol...nevermind.

My body is getting beat to hell I plan on doing full armor up to the upper crease. fenders and rear 1/4 panels in 3/16ths . Doors in 1/8 . My armor will not be for the dress up crowd .I going for an industrial almost military look with welded creaes and welded carriage bolts . 2x1 Box steel flares welded directlyto the body armor. Something that BA would have built ala the A-team. minus gun turrets and window armor. The goal is to cover up all the previous body damage and prevent further damage . My hope is to be able to brush rocks walls and squeezes with out the typical tin can carnage. Like the idea of scraping the entire side of the jeep against a huge boulder without the wife freaking out when I come home. Just got to sell the idea of our Jeep looking like a prop from a Mad Max movie first. Im just going to do it like every other modification . Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
that sounds AWESOME!!! I want to do the same thing!

Last edited:
The doors will be too heavy and you will more that likely break the hinges or the door will fall out of allignment. Last time I did the Rubicon my rig flexed so much that the driver side door fell out of allignment. Why not just install tube doors before you hit the trail? Even with aromor on the doors there is not enough support on the inside of the door due to the window and you will dent it anyway.

How are people getting doors back on if they wheel with them off? Unibodies don't like to twist with no doors and then line back up in my expeirience? Do tube doors solve this?

i used to think that, but i have yet to find a situation where it wasnt easy to open or close my doors, which means they are not really helping keeping things in line. The rear hatch is a different story, i know my body moves a little bit with the hatch is opened. I dont run doorless though, i like the barrier between me and the ground/elements.

Ok took the plunge and bought all my steel. Listening to some of the posts I decided to compromise aa little on the doors . Only plating the lower portions . I am also going to do a strip of 1.5"x 1/8" flatbar with a 3/4" angle pointer atached to the upper body crease . Minimal armor effect but it will tie the fully plated fenders and Rear 1/4 together cosmetically.

Nearly half finished . One side is almost done .just spot welded My flares . Question is should I fInish weld all into place and have some ugly flux core welds that I can say I did it . Or should I bring it to a welder and get some tasty fat welds for a bit more $$. I am at the point to decide right now. I think my welds would hold up fine just wont be pretty. Not really looking to win no beauty contest but i

How are people getting doors back on if they wheel with them off? Unibodies don't like to twist with no doors and then line back up in my expeirience? Do tube doors solve this?

"I hate when i take the doors off my cherokee, and the unibody folds in half"

:gee:

i am one of the people that believe the unibody can hold its own without doors... I have wheeled for almost 2 years with and without doors on my cherokee and other than my drivers door being saggy from daily use. they all line back up just fine and unless i smash my heep into something without them on they will continue to

standard.jpg

i am one of the people that believe the unibody can hold its own without doors... I have wheeled for almost 2 years with and without doors on my cherokee and other than my drivers door being saggy from daily use. they all line back up just fine and unless i smash my heep into something without them on they will continue to

^ this. I ve been wheeling with tube doors for about 3 years now and have never had a problem putting the doors back on.

After the first time wheeling without doors, the added ability to see exactly where your tires are pointed will convince you that doors are over rated( at least in the rocks). Mud, sand, snow doors come in handy though.

i've never had trouble seeing where my wheels are pointed with the doors on. the extra protection of the doors gives me slightly more confidence in the rocks.

Back